DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   24GB Problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/496164-24gb-problem.html)

Dan Burnap May 20th, 2011 03:51 AM

24GB Problem

I have an MSI Platinum board which ran happily for years with 12GB (6x2GB). Recently I installed 24GB (6x4gb). The problem is that about 40% of the time I boot up, only 16GB is reported in BIOS. If 24GB is reported then sometime during my 'up-time' I'll check Task Manager and it's dropped to 16GB. Sometimes it will just give me the BSOD

Ran Memtest which reports no errors. I am not overlocking

I have shuffled the DIMMS around but whenever it reports 16GB and I boot straight into Memtest and choose display DIMMs it's always DIMM 0 and DIMM 1 which are missing, regardless of which actuall stick of memory is occupying the slot. So, I have deduced that when running 24GB, DIMM 0 & 1 are dodgy. When I had all slots occupied with 2GB sticks, no such problem.

I have tried ajusting the BIOS to run the memory at various speeds, no change.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks

Dan

Scott Chichelli May 20th, 2011 06:33 AM

Re: 24GB Problem

memtest is great however it does not always catch weak ram.
try moving them around again and see if the same slots are coming up bad or if indeed when you move sticks then its reporting a stick bad. (not showing up)

the MSI boards are known to have memory issues and if downclocking the ram didnt help its probably the fact that the board is not providing good voltage to all sticks.
have you tried bumping up the ram voltage?
are you using XMP profile?

Scott
ADK

Pete Bauer May 20th, 2011 06:55 AM

I went through a similar drill on an ASUS P6X58 board. After doing some online research, it seems that many if not most mobos will struggle to provide enough voltage to that much RAM at high clock speeds. In my case, DDR3-2000 RAM tested fine and ran fine at 2000 using 12GB, but I got similar problems as you when all 24 GB were in the system.

Since I'd gotten fast RAM on sale, I was ok with just clocking it at 1600 (which was what my previous 6 x 2GB were running at) and calling it good. My understanding from limited end-user testing is that the RAM speed by itself has little effect on editing or rendering (at least for PPro).

See also this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-cr...-prpro-ae.html

I'd anticipate that if you specifically slow your RAM clock speed down in the BIOS, that will do the trick.

Donald McPherson May 20th, 2011 10:09 AM

Which windows 7 are you using
192 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate

192 GB
Windows 7 Enterprise

192 GB
Windows 7 Professional

16 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium

8 GB
Windows 7 Home Basic

2 GB
Windows 7 Starter

Dan Burnap May 20th, 2011 12:24 PM

Thanks Guys.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate

Yep, I've moved the sticks around alot, it's always DIMM 0 & 1 which fail to show up so I guess it's not the RAM itself.

The memory I am using is this:
I know its not the best but hey, it seems not to be the culprit here.

Not sure what XMP profile is??? I've had a look in the BIOS and there doesnt seem to be an option for it.

BTW on auto setting, the BIOS has set the ram at 1066

Panagiotis Raris May 20th, 2011 01:52 PM

try borrowing a different set of ram (24GB) and run it at 1066, swap the ram you have around and find out if its a ram stick falling out or a ram slot not working correctly. you may have a bad stick of ram, a bad ram slot, or some oddity with that combo.

ive had ram go bad on me for no discernable reason before where it would BSOD my system or drop out during boot.

Scott Chichelli May 20th, 2011 03:16 PM

pretty sure its not the ram as i said the MSI boards are known for memory issues and lack of power
particularly when the same 2 slots are bad when swapping ram.

i have no issues running 24gig ram @ 1600 on the boards we use, with MSI and others 1333 was the best you could get.

try doing a bios update, they may have at least fixed some of the issues in the bios but you cant fix poor power.
again try upping the voltage on the ram a little at a time

Scott
ADK