Installing an old DVraptor card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Installing an old DVraptor card

Hey all...

I need to set up a basic DV editing station in my office. I have a Dell GX-150 1.0 Ghz PC running Windows 2000 and I'm using Premiere 6.5.

Question: Rather than invest in an expensive DV to Composite adaptor for monitoring I'm looking at using a DVraptor card. They're about 5 years old and they gave you composite/component video out to drive an NTSC monitor.

Can anyone recommend this setup from personal experience? Any compatibility issues to look out for?

Thanks,
George
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Your DV camera may support passing the DV signal from the computer through its analog jacks (check the manual), in which case you could hook up a television monitor to it for editing.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:27 AM   #3
Major Player

George,
Older, slower systems is whst the original Raptor was designed for.
The card is more than just a firewire I/O, it buffers the video on board to help smooth out playback. I had one in my first dual 1GZ box and it was butter smooth while scrubbing the timeline in Premiere 6.01. The S connector out drives a TV/monitor just fine. Any FX rendering will, of course, be slow compared to a "modern" machine. All in all, it's a great solution for your purposes.
Hope this helps.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. Even if I just get video out of it for normal speed playback I'll be happy. Just need to check the video on a standard TV monitor. Don't have a DV camera to use and need something permanent.

Will look for one and give it a try.

George

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC