Progressive download at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 30th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Progressive download

How does one go about making a video that would download progressively as it is being played out? Much like how Quicktime previews work on apple.com/trailers but I'm using Windows Media Encoder and Media Server.

I can't seem to run WME with stability. It always crashes during rendering.

Can TmpGenc do it?
Allen Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Trustee

There are a number of questions that come to mind. First, why are you interested in progressive download video, when you have access to a Windows Media Server? Progressive downloading video won't help fix the problem with the Windows Media Encoder crashing, unless you switch to a different format, such as RealMedia, in which case your Windows Media Server is worthless.

So, do you want to stick with Windows Media? If so, can you output directly from your NLE to the Windows Media format, thus bypassing WME?

If for some reason you can't, or you were given the video by another person to encode, then perhaps the reason WME crashes is due to corruption in the video itself. Or perhaps you need to uninstall and reinstall WME.

Since you have the Windows Media Server you would probably want to stick with Windows Media format. That is what I would probably recommend, anyway.

If you don't want to stay with Windows Media, then you could try RealMedia or QuickTime. All you pretty much have to do to make a progressive download with any of these three formats is render them out (whether from your NLE or a standalone encoder, such as Canopus ProCoder) and put them up on a normal http web server.

As far as I know TMPGEnc is purely an MPEG-2 encoder. MPEG-2 is not a Web streaming format.

Let us know what route you want to go, and we can give more specific advice.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Allen,

You have more than likely some computer related problem. I am using WME for almost two years now posting mostly audio but sometimes also video on my church website. About three month ago I also started live transmissions, and I NEVER had any problems with the software.

Ervin
Ervin Farkas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC