Hard drive questions, using 3 disk total, 1 system 1raid 0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 1st, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Hard drive questions, using 3 disk total, 1 system 1raid 0

I have a win7 x64 and have 3 disk total, 1 disk is for programs/OS, the other 2 are Raid 0 1.5gb 3.0gb total.

Question is about the Raid, Should I only have my current video project(s) loaded on that disk for optimal speed?

Because as of now I have 2GB of "other" files and "437GB of current video projects.

So should I find another place for the "other" files, and just have current video projects on the RAID0 ?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Hard drive questions, using 3 disk total, 1 system 1raid 0

Don't use RAID 0 for important files. It has no fault tolerance and is twice as likely to fail as a non-RAID system. Backup and then convert the array to RAID 1. This will increase read speed slightly because the data is now redundantly available on either drive, but more importantly this will provide fault tolerance for the array.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Hard drive questions, using 3 disk total, 1 system 1raid 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
I have a win7 x64 and have 3 disk total, 1 disk is for programs/OS, the other 2 are Raid 0 1.5gb 3.0gb total.

Question is about the Raid, Should I only have my current video project(s) loaded on that disk for optimal speed?

Because as of now I have 2GB of "other" files and "437GB of current video projects.

So should I find another place for the "other" files, and just have current video projects on the RAID0 ?
I would agree with Eric if you editing professionally, but, for your situation, a RAID 0 is just fine. What you need is an external drive to which you frequently and regularly back-up your video and editing projects.

Your real problem is using that RAID 0 for all those "other" files. Right now you have the RAID almost 85% full, which will really slow down its performance. For a video drive, you want to keep disk usage down below 60%. (If you want more details, Harm Millard has explanations of this here in DVInfo and on the Adobe forums.) You definitely want to find another place for the "other" files. Some of the files --- if they are word processing documents or the like --- will be fine on you OS drive (unless it is an SSD).

I strongly suggest you get some additional drives. Get at least one large-capacity USB 3 or eSATA external drive and regularly and frequently back up the video and project files from your RAID. Get another large hard drive in the system (or another external drive) and move the rest of the "other" files there.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC