New PC Motherboard at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Major Player

New PC Motherboard

Looking at building a new PC using an Intel i7 3770K, I would welcome comments on this motherboard -

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0)

I intend using an SSD boot drive for OS only, with a separate drive for programs, and other drives for files. Not interested in Raid & am not a pro but a serious amateur shooting AVCHD in PAL with prosumer equipment, - Canon HF-S10 & editing in Vegas pro 11.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New PC Motherboard

I would go with this one. Higher performance all around. No one editing video ever said they bought too fast a computer. AVCHD demands a TON of processor power.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 2011 - GA-X79-UD5 (rev. 1.0)
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
I would go with this one. Higher performance all around. No one editing video ever said they bought too fast a computer. AVCHD demands a TON of processor power.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 2011 - GA-X79-UD5 (rev. 1.0)
Except that the CPU the OP planned to get will not even physically fit the CPU socket of that motherboard. Besides, if getting an X79 motherboard, the total system budget must be raised by at least $400 as the cheapest LGA 2011 CPU, the i7-3820, does not perform sufficiently better (and might perform worse) than the i7-3770K to justify the higher total cost of the higher-end CPU platform.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Randall, - yes , I think this is the most practical solution as this seems to be a sweet spot for performance & price.
Any advice on Display cards (this Mbd. has built-in VGA), and RAM types or amount ? I was going to use 16g Corsair.

RonC.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
Any advice on Display cards (this Mbd. has built-in VGA), and RAM types or amount ? I was going to use 16g Corsair.

RonC.
I strongly recommend the

for 10-bit monitoring and some solid firepower.

RAM? For your setup 8 GB should be fine, but no harm in going to 12, 16 or 24 GB.
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Sareesh, but is there a similar card which has HDMI out as well and I only need two monitor outs ?

RonC.
Old August 26th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #7
Trustee

Nothing at this price point for 10-bit, afaik...but then again, if you don't want 10-bit there's no point worrying about that.

I haven't used this personally, but for 8-bit dual monitoring this one should work great:

. It's also almost cheaper by half.

Most consumer grade GPUs handle 2 monitors via DVI, DisplayPort and HDMI. The problem is, not all of them have two HDMI ports. You could use them with a

or

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC