Best way to transfer audio to computer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 24th, 2002, 06:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best way to transfer audio to computer?

I'd really like to invest in a DAT or other double-system sound setup but am unsure about how to transfer the audio to the computer? What products are available that will transfer the sound without loss nor break the bank at the same time?
katelins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2002, 10:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Kate:

This is not the best way, but this is how my set up works.

My second system is a stereo multi-track recorder (ZOOM MRS1044CD) which is overkill for most audio, but since I own it... I use it.

I use a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer to combine the mic inputs, and send a feed to the camera as well as the ZOOM. When it's time to take the audio from the recorder, I do it through the analog audio section of the breakout box of the Matrox card in my NLE, and capture (record) using Vegas Video 3.

The ZOOM will allow me to burn a CD of the recording, which I could then bring it into the NLE in purely digital form, but I haven't had the need for that level of quality, yet. In fact, I recorded a live jazz band a few weeks ago, and brought it into Vegas via analog, and the band leader thought it was the best live recording of his band in over twenty years.

I am sure many others here can give you a more usable approach to audio acquistion and transfer to your NLE.
Old November 29th, 2002, 11:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Doug - what do you think about this:

http://www.marantzpro.com/Products/CDR300.html

Its a portable CD recorder. Also, have you heard of people using Creative Lab's Nomad Jukebox as a field recorder? Can I use the Marantz recorder along with a Behringer or Mackie mixer like you do? Thanks for the help
Old December 1st, 2002, 01:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

A lot of people (including myself) use Mini Disc recorders to do portable 2 track (stereo) recording. MD recorders have a lot of advantages, including digital recording, small size, and relatively low cost. They also have two notable downsides: lossy recording, and difficult digital extraction. MD is technically a lossy compression method, although honestly I've never noticed any loss of sound quality, so I call that a moot point. Digital extraction is kind of a pain these days though, because most MD players do not have a digital output, only input. I just use an M-Audio Delta to record the analog out from the MD player, and again, I'm not complaining about how it sounds.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2002, 02:55 PM   #5
Wrangler

Whether I use a MD, cassette, or any analog output recorder, I play the output through a powered mixer and into the audio line inputs on my S-VHS deck where it is automatically looped to the outputs. That way, my editing system receives the audio through the normal analog sound inputs and I don't have to move cables.

With the mixer, I get to adjust output levels before they are digitized. Makes it a snap to deal with the MD earphone output.

Since my recording needs are for weddings, voice and narrative speach, I don't need a DAT with the attendant troubles and expense. The MD is better than the PD-150 and DSR-300 sound for my purposes.

Were I recording onto a CD, I use a CD ripping program to transfer everything in the digital domain.
Old December 1st, 2002, 04:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by katelins : Thanks for the info Doug - what do you think about this:

http://www.marantzpro.com/Products/CDR300.html

Its a portable CD recorder. Also, have you heard of people using Creative Lab's Nomad Jukebox as a field recorder? Can I use the Marantz recorder along with a Behringer or Mackie mixer like you do? Thanks for the help -->>>

Pretty neat looking setup, that Marantz... I am sure it would serve you well with a mixer, although it doesn't require one. The mixer just makes routing much easier, especially if you want to send an output to the camera.

If you are going to be in a stable situation, the CD recorder may not be a bad idea. I am concerned with how much of a shock the unit can withstand before it affects its recording abilities. It would really suck if, during a critical point in the recording, the unit was bumped into... with a resulting loss of sound.

Mike is very experienced with these types of setups... if he feels that overall the MD would be better than a DAT for speech - I'll have to go with him on that one.

What is your critical audio going to be?

BTW - you got me on that Creative Labs Nomad setup... I haven't seen that yet.
Old December 1st, 2002, 10:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Looks like the Jukebox Zen does recording, and has a 1394 interface. There's no immediate evidence what format it might be compressing to though. Most likely 128Kbit MP3...

http://www.nomadworld.com
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2002, 10:40 PM   #8

Most of the routine Creative products are very high quality(ignoring the bad things they do to your system bus) in terms of sound quality. Nevertheless, the industry standard for sound recording is M-Audio, MOTU or Wave Audio. The Delta series from M-audio has an extremely low latency and noise threshhold. I've found that the Delta 1010 more than suits my own needs, combined with a Mackie Mixer.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2002, 06:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

There should be a review of the Marantz CD recorder for anyone interested in the next DV issue, or the one after next at the latest. I believe Jay Rose, the author, dropped the recorder a few inches and it still worked but hopefully he'll go into more detail than that on how rugged it will be.

I'd like to get the best audio for my budget, that's the bottom line, along with learning as much as I can along the way. Eventually it would be great to know enough to do a DV film, the reason I'm looking into a double-system sound setup. So it won't be run-and-gun shooting, an environment I realize the Marantz isn't suited for.

Keeping my options open though, including MD. Looks like with these two choices I can transfer audio to a computer fine.
Old December 4th, 2002, 10:54 PM   #10
Wrangler

You can always record with a portable MD and then put the disk in a studio MD recorder which will have multiple output options. This method just costs more and is one I will use sometime in 2003.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC