Normalizing in Sound Forge at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 25th, 2002, 02:34 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Normalizing in Sound Forge

This guy was telling me that when using a normalize function in audio, the better way to go is to use the RMS average, rather than the peaks, to normalize. How do you do this in Sound Forge? I looked at the help file, and it tells me to click all these buttons that don't exist. The default for the normalize function is to use peaks. Anybody know how to do this? Thanks.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 03:09 AM   #2
Wrangler

Under Process > Normalize, there are radio buttons for "Peak Level" and "Average RMS power (loudness)" at the top of the plugin dialog box. RMS is not necessarily "better." Experiment and see which setting is more useful for your application. Also you may actually be seeking compression/expansion of your signal achievable with the Wave Hammer tool.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 10:49 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

This guy told me normalizing by that method was the way to go, since if you have peaks that vary greatly from the rest of your file, it will bring those up, and the rest of your file would be about the same level. I'm trying to bring a bunch of sound files to the same level, and therefore it seems averaging is the way to go.

I just found out that I don't have the fancy full version of Sound Forge, and that's why I couldn't find those buttons. Does anyone know which method Sound Forge XP Studio uses to normalize, peak or RMS average?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 05:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sound Forge & Normalizing ...

I have found the best way to explain normalizing is as such.. if you have a quite file with loud peaks & and a loud file with quiet peaks: when you normailze with "peak" the quiet files peaks will be brought down to a pre-determined level, the loud files peaks will be brought up to a higher (pre-determined) level also, thereby doing the opposite of what you really need. Normalizing to "average" with the same scenario brings the average of the quiet file up while bringing the average of the loud file down therby making the files "sound" more similar. I do however concur with Robert Knecht Schmidt, try it both ways and let your ears be the judge, they'll let you know what works.

Josh, I'm shooting in Baltimore again this week, but I'll be back in town the first of December. You are welcome to come by the recording studio (the Abbey) and use my system there, it's a full blown Sound Forge system in a Dual CPU machine so it can crank the stuff out pretty fast. I've been using Sound Forge since V2.0 so I'm (almost) 1/2 decent with it. I also have Vegas there if you need to preview stuff. Let me know if you need it, it's there for the asking. Ditto to others in the Houston area.
Mark
p.s. I'd like to find a process to "normalize" myself. If anyone knows how please let me know :-)
Old November 25th, 2002, 05:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Re: Sound Forge & Normalizing ...

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Austin :
p.s. I'd like to find a process to "normalize" myself. If anyone knows how please let me know :-) -->>>

When you discover this process, would you please pass them my way! I could also use some "normalizing."
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2002, 12:56 AM   #6
Slash Rules!

Yes yes. .. thank you. I still wish I had the $250 to buy the full version so I could FINISH MY DAMN FOUR MINUTE CLAYMATION MOVIE ALREADY! Anyone know some free software or something that has a RMS averaging normalization?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC