Monitor Set Up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 24th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitor Set Up

I want to improve my current monitor set up. I am looking for better picture /image color quality.

What I have: Dell 8200 Dimension, Pentium 4 2.53 GHz, 512MB, Dell Monitor, and a NVidia GEForce4 Mx420.

I am looking for advice on what's best LCD monitor 19 or 20 inch and do I need to replace my current NVidia video card.

Thank you for your assistance.
Danny Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

With regards to size, a 19 inch monitor will run you about half or so on price. I'd go with two 19's instead of chunking that money at a single inch or so extra.

There is a lot of good research out there on CRT vs. LCD and what I would do, is read a lot of reviews. Samsung products have remained steady in terms of customer feedback and breakdowns. According stuff I've been reading.

A CRT will produce a lot more heat and cost more electricity as opposed to an LCD. Neither monitor type is going to give you a true picture due to the operating system's color correcting and such.

As for LCD, I just bought a Samsung LCD and really like the clarity it provides, as opposed to my two 19's crt's which are not nearly as clear.

And then there is budget. Find some good sales but purchase what you can afford. I find little attraction to a 21 inch LCD that is 700 bucks or so, when I can get a 19 lcd for almost half.

My prices may be a little off, it's always helpful to do current research.

Steven Davis
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:30 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Neither monitor type is going to give you a true picture due to the operating system's color correcting and such.
A true picture of what? If it is video, of course not, and I'm not sure that it is due to operating systems’ color correcting. If that were the case one could simply override the operating system by calibrating the monitor using color bars and Adobe Gamma or the graphics cards driver and get a true picture of your video. I've never heard of this being done (not that it hasn't been, of course).

On the other hand, computer monitors can give a "true picture" of graphics/images, if calibrated. CRTs are still better than LCDs for this, though LCD technology has been improving in this regard.

I do agree about getting two 19" LCDs instead of one 20" or 21" LCD. A good deal more real estate for the same or less money than would be spent on the single larger monitor.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

LCDs are kind of all over the map.
Some panels are only 6-bit color depth, instead of 8.

*Particular LCDs may be good on the other hand.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC