Backing up the crucial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 27th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Backing up the crucial

Anyone use back up software successfully with video type files. Here's what I have at the moment.

I have a computer with several hard drives. What I'd like to do is constantly back up the crucial files such as the Vegas edit files and DVD edit files and such.

I've looked at ghost and various other types, but since we are a special breed with specific needs, I was wondering if anyone is using specific back up software successfully with video project files.

I'm not sure about Ghost, I really don't want an image, i just want a copy of the files and file structure.

I'm not looking to back up my video files, mainly just the edits, and possibly the images used to compile each video project.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Trustee

make a directory named "projects" on your c: drive... put all the project files inside of there, but no avi or video files.

make a "project1" and "project2" directories on another hard drive(s)... periodically copy your original working c:\projects directory over to either(not both) "project1" or "project2", always writing over the oldest files... that way you'll always have two working copies of all your projects... one copy is older, but that's a good thing, in case the latest backup got corrupted.

also burn the c:\projects directory to a cd regularly... and make a bootable image backup of the entire c: drive as well, onto a bootable dvd disc, it takes forever to re-install all of your apps and the o.s.... i just had two hard drives fail this month, and one of 'em was a brand new maxtor drive.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Dan,

Good ideas, I'll keep thinking about this. I was reminded last night when I was recovering a drive that had lost it's volume type. Talk about a pain.
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

There's a way to setup windows task scheduler and use batch files to automagically copy over all your .veg s or whatever.

Ask for details.

2- if all your project files are seperate from your video files, you can use the windows backup utility to back your stuff up.

windows backup is under accessories.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC