Issue with a brand new pc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 12th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Issue with a brand new pc

Hello there

i have builded the following custom pc

it came to me with a cost of 2450euros ( tower only -no windows)

Asrock X99 extreme6
corsair cooling hydro series h75 performance liquid CPU
corsair vengeance V650 power supply 650 watt
corsair vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 4 x 8gb KIT
Intel I7 6800 3.6 socket 2011-V3
gigabyte 1070 G1 gaming 8192 GDDR5
samsung SM 951-NVme PCIe.m2 type 2280-DE-M 512gb
wester digital blue hybrid sata 4TB

it have the above specs

but

PREMIERE CC 2015.3

is running very slow

i added 4k video from my a7sii and its barelly plays it ... its not smooth at all on the timeline and its very annoying

i added and tried to edit 1080 AVCHD footage from the A7S and even things are better than the 4K is not very smooth on scrolling the timeline and many times its freezing.

is this normal with this specs?

i have this behavior from my 6 years old pc also but that one now is 700euros max and its old technology

Last edited by Anthony Mozora; July 12th, 2016 at 11:27 PM.
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Issue with a brand new pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mozora View Post
it came to me with a cost of 2450euros ( tower only -no windows)
So you're not running Windows? Otherwise, I fail to see how the cost of 2450 euros is relevant in any way?

Quote:
Asrock X99 extreme6
I wouldn't have cheaped out on the motherboard.

Quote:
corsair cooling hydro series h75 performance liquid CPU
Not relevant.

Quote:
corsair vengeance V650 power supply 650 watt
Not relevant.

Quote:
PREMIERE CC 2015.3 is running very slow i added 4k video from my a7sii and its barelly plays it ... its not smooth at all on the timeline and its very annoying. i added and tried to edit 1080 AVCHD footage from the A7S and even things are better than the 4K is not very smooth on scrolling the timeline and many times its freezing. is this normal with this specs?

You said you have the "tower only -no windows", so are you emulating Premiere CC 2015.3 in Wine on a Linux system? If so, then yes, this behavior would be expected. As you didn't specify, I can only speculate.

If you are playing the footage from the SD card, then yes this is normal. Since you did not specify where the footage was currently located, I can only speculate.

You should also have Premiere set to CUDA or OpenCL mode and not software. Since you didn't specify if you had acceleration toggled on or not, I can only speculate.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hello

thank you for your reply

i mean the pc came to me at the cost of 2400 euros with active windows installed , at the moment its a trial i need to pay for it

I tried importing the footage so i can test the premiere with 3 different ways

from

THE MAIN SDD drive

from the Internal HYBRID SATA DRIVE

and from an external USB3 drive

in all the above imports I get the same results.

I wasnt sure if the 1070 is supported by premiere but after doing a ''GUNSNIFFER'' THE cuda mode seems to be active cause now when i add effects on the clips i dont get any red lines above
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Set Premiere to OpenCL and see if that makes a difference.
Old July 13th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #5
Trustee

Anthony

Is it slower than your old set up, or do you feel it's just slow ?

I think you need to play with the settings in Premiere to double check the performance.

You should of gone for the 5820k processor (best bang for the buck in that series). I think the 6600 is better for gaming.

And you definitely should add another SSD media drive (to put all the files you are currently editing in) so buy a 1tb Samsung 850 EVO SSD or two cheaper Sandisk 512GB if money is tight and put them in RAID 0 for double the read/write performance.

What happens then is when you skim through files on your timeline it will read the data quicker and not lag.

I recently built a PC as well and Sony Vegas was very slow until some body pointed out that I had to enable GPU acceleration and bingo ... ULTRA fast. Everything works perfectly, superfast with 4K and 1080p footage on the timeline with multiple overlays etc etc etc
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 06:11 AM   #6
Major Player

James is correct, you need a much faster drive than the Western Digital Blue for your media files.

With 4K files you need both size and speed - a 1TB SSD should improve things dramatically.

You also need to "tune" Windows to reduce the proportion of resources used by processes that are not needed.

Search for Black Viper on the internet - he has a detailed guide to what you can turn off. The adobe guide at this link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-ele...-premiere.html

is more basic.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #7
Inner Circle

With the pc configuration Anthony has I highly doubt the WD blue drives are the bottleneck if he even can't deal with a single layer of avchd footage. WD blue drives are actually not that slow, according to a benchnark I found it seems to outperform the black drives on read and write speeds. I only work with separate WD red pro and black drives which are not in a raid and can playback anything I trow at it, even up to 4 layer of 100mbs 4K in realtime without any delay and that's on a i7 4790k but I don't use Adobe premiere, just saying this as harddrive speed in my case is no issue.

Tuning windows is something I always do but again, with his pc specs that would hardly make a difference, his problem is either related to some setting in his NLE or it could be a driver issue and even the OS could be the cause as he is using trial "windows" but doesn't say which version as it might not be suited for the latest Premiere build.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 07:07 AM   #8
Major Player

When one installs Windows on a new PC, Windows installs many "generic" drivers, whatever it thinks is best or closest to what is needed for various components. For best performance, go directly to the motherboard manufacturer's website and find correct drivers for your motherboard, SATA, USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, etc. and install those drivers.

Premiere tip - copy the entire contents of camera SD card to hard drive, all folders intact, and import into Premiere using Media Browser, not file import. This can resolve many issues.

Thanks
Old July 13th, 2016, 08:55 AM   #9
Major Player

i updated my graphics card recently because 4K footage was dragging it down somewhat, my card was a Nvidea GTX 650 Ti (1 Gb) which was ok for AVCHD but it was struggling with 4K and render times were long, I upgraded to a 4 Gb 980 and performance really increased dramatically.
So i presume the GTX 1070 should not present a slowdown.

I think 8 Gb of RAM is small in this system, I have 24 Gb in mine for the last year and a half.

The only other thing I can think of is to get the current drivers for HD, Graphics card and motherboard.

Wasn't there some questions about the performance of PP CC 2015 version 3???
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
So i presume the GTX 1070 should not present a slowdown.
It shouldn't, but the 1070 is new enough that a fresh install of 2015.3 might not toggle on CUDA or OpenCL automatically. I would make sure that option is explicitly set in Project Settings.
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
I think 8 Gb of RAM is small in this system
He has a 4 x 8gb KIT :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #12
Major Player

oops!

:-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC