Matrox vs Radeon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 28th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matrox vs Radeon

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using the Matrox RT.X100 Extreme Pro vs the top of the line Radeon card (I believe it's the X850 XT)? I need it for editing with Premiere 1.5 & After Effects.
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Both cards do different things, and are different kinds of cards.

The matrox provides hardware acceleration for specific effects within Premiere Pro.
It may be picky about hardware (i.e. your motherboard). I would do research.

The top of the line Radeon card is good at directX acceleration and poor in openGL acceleration (compared to the workstation lines, like ATI/Fire and Nvidia/Quadro). After Effects can use openGL and directX acceleration... I'm not sure what effects go to which.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

"The matrox provides hardware acceleration for specific effects within Premiere Pro.
It may be picky about hardware (i.e. your motherboard). I would do research."

What he said...

i think ur gettin the 2 confused thou..

the RTx100 is an accelerator/realtime DV board which allows for realtime processing of DV and Matrox Filters. These work well, btu are seriously dated, on top of that, there is also the "prerender" requirement on certain things.

the ati youre refering to is a display card.. from memory, the RTx is VERY VERY meticulous on how and what is displayed on whatever display ur running.

if ur going for an RTx, i would recommend a Matrox Parhelia GFX display adapter, as they work well hand in hand and the opengl and DX functions will work fine within Prem and After Effects.
The only issue is that it doesnt have the 3d grunt that these spanky new gfx cards have....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC