TV distribution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 24th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #1
Major Player

TV distribution

Has anyone here distributed a TV commercial to a television station via MPEG2 on a data DVD?

My local station won't accept video this way. Are they just behind the times, or isn't this a common distribution method??
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I've never seen a commercial station accept Mpeg2 as a broadcast copy. (Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I've just never seen it) Most want BetaSP dubs, or DVCam. Some might take Mini DV (but I doubt it)

ALways find out the stations preferred format, and while you're at it, make sure you find out their pre-roll preferences. There can be a bit of difference there between stations.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't get it...

It seems like the station should be able to load the MPEG2 file onto their eithernet and and then just transfer it onto their server.

It seems so much easier than having to set up/cue up video tapes ~ and never a chance of tape wrinkles or dropouts.

And there wouldn't be any additional equipment needed.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Robert,

The thing is that their servers might not be running MPEG2 IBP. Some stations will be running in DV format (which codec????), MPEG2 I-Frame, MJPEG, Uncompressed, HD etc etc. Therefore producing it to BETAcam or DV tape etc solves the problem. Unless of course you know what their video servers excepts. Some stations still run from tape deck...

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Robert,
Cable companies that air from servers generally do their own compression to MPEG2. That's the case here in the LA area. Some cable providers will accept an .avi video file as a data file on CD or DVD media. The good news is that Beta SP masters may no longer be needed. HOWEVER: you must prepare the comercial/video file to proper digital specs (no setup, etc.).
It's always best to check the tech requirements of the company in your area.
Hope this helps.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #6
Major Player

thanks to all for your input ~ I'll check it out.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC