Removing noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 4th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How can I fix the - NIGHTTIME LOW LIGHT GRAIN IN DARK AREAS - in Post Production

Is there a way to do this? With After Effects, Premiere, Final Cut, etc?
James A. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #2
New Boot

I'm interested on this topic too. I thought I'd better reply on this thread rather than starting a new one so James could read the reply too.

I guess it's not easy to remove that noise, if it's dark there is not much to do, but I would like to hear from the pros.

Thanks in advance.
Ruben Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Premiere and FCP don't have good noise removal tools IMO.

Use after effects 6.5 and use the "remove grain" filter. It's based on grain surgery I believe.

If you want a low-cost alternative and have Photoshop (non-Elements), use a Photoshop noise reduction tool like Noise Ninja or Neat Image. Unfortunately, batch actions/processing is VERY VERY slow. So is AE + "remove grain".

If your footage is 60i and you want to do the Photoshop thing, you probably want to handle the interlacing correctly (which would be annoying).

2- An alternative is to hide the noise with diffusion effects.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #4
Trustee

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, avisynth offers the best results, because hackers are constantly making new filters for this sort of thing. You can keep abreast of developments here. Most recently I used FRFun7 on an underexposed DV clip, and it worked as well as could be expected.

Video denoisers differ from image denoisers; the former can exploit the fact that noise can be averaged out temporally.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC