So many firewire cards - which one to get?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 5th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

So many firewire cards - which one to get?!

Hi,

I am wanting to edit video from my gs400. I already have some editing software, but now need a firewire card. I am confused by the huge amount of different ones available - ranging from 20$-1000s. All i want to do is capture video (often will be wide 16:9) without dropping frames. Ive been thinking of getting a very cheap LaCie 3-port firewire400 card. Or will a card like this not be sufficient for capturing video?

Thanks

Josef
Josef Heks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #2
Trustee

i'd get the cheapest one, with the fewest amount of ports... hook the external hard drives up via the usb 2.0 port instead of firewire.

you could look at the chipsets on the cards, if you wanted to differentiate 'em... maybe get a card with the the ti(texas instruments) chipset.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Major Player

I would at least get a FireWire800 card much faster and better for video...Then again I don't know what's available for a mac..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sherman
I would at least get a FireWire800 card much faster and better for video...Then again I don't know what's available for a mac..
IEEE 1394a (FireWire 400) is plenty more than enough for DV video transfers. DV video is only 3.6Mbs per second, which works out to somewhere around 25Mbps. As you can see, 25Mbps is nowhere near the bandwidth of the IEEE 1394a standard of 400Mbps. There is no reason to get IEEE 1394b (FireWire 800) if transferring DV video is all you will be doing. However, FireWire 800 can be useful for high-bandwidth tasks like external hard drives (for those few devices that currently support it, anyway).
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Oh I should have read the thread.. I thought it was about external harddrives.. If not, yeah any firewire card, port, dodad would do..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC