Building a DV Post Production PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Tourist

Building a DV Post Production PC

I'm getting ready to build a PC to be primarily used for DV post production. I would be interested in knowing what processors, video cards, etc., people are using successfully to optimize their systems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Tonua Brown
Tonua Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The best hardware depends a little on which editing platform you choose to go with... i.e. Edition works better with ATI video cards, while Avid works better with Nvidia.

That being said, Sony Vegas on a dual core dual Opteron is pretty sweet for bang/buck. If you have about a million dollars, you might want to look at something like Quantel iQ.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is the setup I use below. Seems to work fine with PP1.5 and all the other stuff I use. I have tried just about every demo out there....

Athlon64 3400+,ASUS K8N,WD200 gig,WD160gig 7200,2Gigs PC3200,Radeon X700,2-DVD/RAM GSA-4160B,WinXP Pro,Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum

Last edited by John L Scott; January 10th, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
John L Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks... and a little more info

Thanks, Glenn and John, for your replies. I've started building my "wish list" from which I'll be building my PC. I wish I had a million dollars to spend! Since I don't, I've included the dual core Opteron on my list since I am definitely going to be working with Vegas.

John, when I viewed your post yesterday, you had quite a bit of detail about your setup, but when I logged in today, I noticed that it was gone. Would you mind reposting it?

Thanks.
Tonua
Tonua Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You might want to check out the Sony Media Software Vegas forum. Many threads there about building a PC for Vegas.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for....asp?ForumID=4
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC