Question Re: Transitions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 20th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Question Re: Transitions

ok, i totally posted this on the wrong board. hopefully, this is the right place to ask this. i'm interested in doing lots of fades, such as you often saw in montage sequences from movies in the 40's, or as coppola did in "tucker: a man and his dream". anyway, i've been told this looks REALLY bad on digital video, for some reason.

is this true? does it only look bad interlaced, but OK on progressive? let's say i want to cross-fade a clip at full speed with a clip at half speed, or an interlaced clip with a progressive scan clip. i'm not talking straight cross-fades, but rather layer three or more moving images on top of each other.

i'm using premiere pro 1.5, but unless i'm doing something wrong, the de-interlace feature looks awful, particularly if the speed of the clip has been altered.
Benjamin Heneberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #2
New Boot

oh my god, was it that dumb of a question? NO ONE has an answer? (sound of me crying) oh, well...
Benjamin Heneberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

not a dumb question

there is only one dumb question ("is that gun REALLY loaded??" just assume it is..)...
but your question is a very specific one and requires some experience in that area....
my best suggestion would be to keep experimenting till you find the perfect cocktail of effects/transition to get what you want....
de-interlacing causes you to lose quality because the computer is trying to blend the two frames together or duplicating one of the fields (<--very very basic conceptual answer)
does it look bad to you, or to others?
Q
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Trustee

Why not simply try rendering it and watching it on a DVD?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC