16:9...what and how?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 26th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

16:9...what and how?!

okay, i am just confused here...with all these different terms and how to do this.

what is letter boxing? how do you do it?

i have a canon xl1s and it has the 16:9 "squeeze" mode. should i film in this format if i want widescreen?

can i film a regular 4:3 video and convert it to widscreen in such a program as premeire and how?

also, when making a dvd of my project and say i filmed it in 4:3, do i also have to have a version of the movie in 16:9 if i want to have both for viewers to choose from? or is there a program such as adobe encore that can make a 4:3 video into widescreen if the user chooses that format allowing me to save space on the dvd for other stuff?

thanks,
mike
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

OK, lots of questions. Lets see if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sweeney
what is letter boxing? how do you do it?
Letterboxing is when you take a standard 4:3 aspect ratio video and you crop off the top and bottom of the image to make it widescreen 16:9. You will lose about 1/3 of the image cropping, so be sure to compose your shots with the guides in your XL1s.

Quote:
i have a canon xl1s and it has the 16:9 "squeeze" mode. should i film in this format if i want widescreen?
That is one way to approach widescreen. There is a camp that believes this produces very good quality images. Others believe you should shoot 4:3 and letterbox as note above. For more info check out this website:
http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-etc.html#widescreen

It should answer almost all of these questions.

Quote:
can i film a regular 4:3 video and convert it to widscreen in such a program as premeire and how?
Absolutely. You can do this in premiere by using the cropping filter, or creating a mask or photoshop. I believe Vegas has it's own letterboxer tool.

Quote:
also, when making a dvd of my project and say i filmed it in 4:3, do i also have to have a version of the movie in 16:9 if i want to have both for viewers to choose from? or is there a program such as adobe encore that can make a 4:3 video into widescreen if the user chooses that format allowing me to save space on the dvd for other stuff?
If you filmed something in 4:3, even if it's letterboxed, it's still 4:3 with black bars above and below. To convert it widescreen would mean resizing the video and aspect ratio, and would probably give a big loss in quality. I would pick one format and stick with it. If you must have both options, you would have to make 2 separate video files of your program, so you wouldn't be saving space.

If you shoot in 16:9 using the "squeeze" feature or an anamorphic adapter, you should author a 16:9 dvd. Standard DVD players will recognize this and display the image properly on a widescreen TV to fill the screen, or it will generate the letterbox automaticly for you on a 4:3 TV. However, it will not create a full frame 4:3 option. If you have to have that option, again that would need to be created separately.

Hope this helps.
Paul
Paul Cuoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thank you, i would say that just answered all my questions very well..thanks
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC