adding overlay text darkens video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

adding overlay text darkens video

Newbie question. I am running Vegas 6.0 (+ HDR/HC1) and I am looking for a work around or solution for a opacity issue. When I add generated media in the form of scrolling credits (actually timed fade in/out text),, I can only see the text when I reduce the opacity of of my primary video to 90%. Thus, in order to see white text, my video is darkened because my background for the generated media is black. When creating a white background for the generated media(dark text)hoping that would solve the problem but I can't seem to generate any text that way. Can I overlay clearly recognizable text without reducing the transparency of my video? I suppose a workaround is to overexpose my video when I shoot in order to add text, but I hope it doesn't come to that. For what's it's worth, this is my first introduction into video production and I think Vegas is pretty sweet.
Paul Carlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #2
New Boot

Leave the opacity at 100%. Put the text on Video Track 1 and put the video below it on Video Track 2. It will make the background of the text transperent. Hope that helps.

Nick
Nick Martinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

re: adding overlay text

Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion. Mistakenly I posted my query here instead of the Vegas forum. After several excellent suggestions, I found my answer which I will post in that forum. Thx again! Paul
Paul Carlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC