Laptop Buying Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 25th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Laptop Buying Question

Hello all,In the past you guys have helped me out allot when I was building my system last year so I thought I would come in here and see if I can get some suggestions on buying a laptop. I'm mostly going to use it for surfing the net playing some games and Photoshop. I will be doing a little editing on it not much maybe not at all.What I might do is have some of my HD files from my Sony FX1 and play them on it. Buying a Laptop is confusing so many different Laptops out there. This is the one I have my eye's on

Acer Aspire AS5672WLMi- XP Home NoteBook Intel Core Duo T2300(1.66GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 533 100GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility RADEON X1400 - Retail Newegg

I didn't want to spend this much but I would rather spend a few more hundred dollars and get something that will stay with me a few years. So any input would be so much appreciated. Even with the Acer company not heard of them to much so is this a good company? I read the reviews at newegg and they seem to like them.Thank's again all for any input you can give.

Chet
Chad Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Gigas

I think if you decide to edit and are working with HD Video you will need more hard drive space, since you are going the laptop route that will mean getting an external drive (or two)... factor that into your final cost....

Would also always recommend something that runs XP Pro as opposed to XP home.... hate XP home... this advice is regardless of whether you are going to do any editing...

-raza
Raza Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank's for the reply. I probley won't be doing any editing with it I just thought maybe down the line It would be nice to know that it will do the job if needed. As for XP Home will it make that big of a difference? I have the pro version on my Desktop and I always thought the Home version was the same thing but without a few extra Bells and whistles. I'm just not sure if I should get a Duel core or go with a cheaper one since I probley will only use it for Photoshop and gaming.Thank's again for the reply.
Chad Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Trustee

gaming means that you will need a top-notch video card... how much memory is on that radeon card? at least 128mb? i would look at the games that you intend to play, see what video cards they require.

5400 rpm hdd is a must, as well... take a look at www.notebookforums.com
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

not a software engineer

So I don't know what the specific architectural differences between Home and Pro are (I feel like Home is kind of an ME move forward and Pro is a Win2K move forward) but at a practical level I have always felt Pro is more stable and singificantly less trouble prone than Pro...

-raza
Raza Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank's again all for the replies. I really like that www.notebookforums.com forum got allot of info from there. I went with the ACer because the reviews seem pretty good and it's plays most games. Not that it will be used for games but it's nice to know it will play them my kids like that. Thank's again all for the help.
Chad Solo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC