30fps to 24fps? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 26th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #1
New Boot

30fps to 24fps?

Hello all. I was curious to know if it is possible to shoot something in 30fps (XL1)
and then in post knock it down to 24fps?

I was told that was doable.
Corey Aucutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

magic bullet

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/magbulsuit.html

This is the only method of doing this that I know of... the problem is that with a 30 --> 24 conversion you are actually needing frames that exist between the frames of a 30fps stream, (as opposed to going to 15fps, 10, etc.) you are actually using every 1.25th frame, so magic bullet blends the in and out frames around the desired point in the video stream to create the needed image... its a loooooooong render.... good software though...

they used this product for vanilla sky...

-raza
Raza Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

DVFilm
Nattress (nattress.com) for Final Cut Pro
Vegas (editing program)

are other products that do this. MBSuite is quite slow from what I've heard.

2- If you want the same effect. there are a variety of de-interlacers out there. I can't tell the difference between 30p and 24p. 24p has slight distribution advantages (better compression for DVD and streaming, translates into PAL easily whereas 30p origination doesn't).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #4
New Boot

awesome thanks.
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #5
Jubal 28

It's physcially possible, but the results will probably not be great. Converting 60i to 24p is easier because there are so many more motion samples to choose from when making the conversion (60i has 2.5x the motion samples of 24p), but 30p has only six more motion samples per second, and it doesn't translate well. If you have more than just a tiny bit of motion, it will be very choppy and stroby (especially on pans), and the edges of moving objects will likely have a "ghosting" effect.

Just letting you know what you're in for.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Major Player

is there anyway to do this using the built in effects in premiere pro 2.0 or do you have to use magic bullet? Is there any way to set up a 25fps timelime in prem pro also? as this would give a relatively close feel to the 24fps conversion that magic bullet offers.
thanks
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #7
Major Player

Corey,

When you say 30fps, are you referring to normal interlaced 60i footage, or progressive 30p footage (with the Canon FRAME mode)? 60i will convert well to 24p using a variety of methods. 30p doesn't convert so well.

MB doesn't blend, it interpolates. Each product uses a different method. Maker is a combination of selective field doubling and frame blending.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM   #8
New Boot

im talking about frame mode in the xl1.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Corey,

Ah, FRAME mode. Well, if you want to maintain the speed of the clip, it won't convert to 24p very well. All of the manuals and help files for the conversion software will say as much. Don't shoot FRAME mode.

However, if you want to do a slight slow-motion effect, you can just interpret your 30p as 24p, and each second will become a second and a third. Audio won't match, of course.

If you want to convert to 24p in the future, shoot 60i.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC