Camcorder -> PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 4th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #1
Oleg Savkin

Camcorder -> PC

I have Panasonic DV952, and question is:
What do I need to buy to copy movie from camcorder's tap (not CARD!), to my PC?

As I know I need to buy cable iLink/1394/firewire. What do I need from PC's side to make this connection?
Do I need something else? Some other equipment?
My purpose is just to download and write my home movie on CD (AVI or MPG format)...

Any advices/suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Oleg
Old February 4th, 2003, 02:24 PM   #2

an ohci compatible ieee1394 port on your computer. if this didn't come with your motherboard(and only the new mobos are coming with this) then you can get an add on pci card to do this. best one on the market is available from www.adstech.com
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #3
Warden

If your PC does not have a FireWire/IEEE1394/iLink connection (PCI card) you will need to purchase one. CompUSA and other computer stores usually carry a device. You will also need a connecting cable if your camcorder did not come with one. Some FireWire PCI cards come with cable also. You will require a 4 pin (to attach to the camera) to 6 pin (connects to fireWire card) FireWire cable.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 02:49 PM   #4
Oleg Savkin

Question closed

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Ravens : an ohci compatible ieee1394 port on your computer. if this didn't come with your motherboard(and only the new mobos are coming with this) then you can get an add on pci card to do this. best one on the market is available from www.adstech.com -->>>

Thanks man, it was very informative.
I found on site you've pointed the "PYRO BasicDV" for just $69, looks like it is exactly what I needed.
Old February 4th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Onboard FireWire can be a bit of a pain in the ass, as they tend to share an IRQ with other important components. Like hard disk controllers (this is bad :) ).

The card you picked up will do perfectly.
Old February 4th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #6
Oleg Savkin

Onboard FireWire

<<Onboard FireWire can be a bit of a pain in the ass, as they tend to share an IRQ with other important components. Like hard disk controllers (this is bad :) )>>

Ok, give me your suggestion how do I download stuff from camcorder's taps in my PC to burn CD?
Thanks
Old February 4th, 2003, 04:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Welcome to the wonderful world of editing.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC