When is it time to upgrade PC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

When is it time to upgrade PC?

I have a Dual 3.06 Xeon Worksation on a 533 FSB. It has 1 GB DDR400 PC3200 Ram, 1X 160 GB boot drive, 2X 250 GB SATA Hitachi Deskstar Media drives, a Quadro FX 500 graphics card, a 5.1 Soundblaster audio card, firewire and USB ports, all that standard stuff. I bought it in Sept 2004, and I have loved it. But hearing all about these Dual Core machines, it sounds like I might be missing out. Should I sell unit this while it's still woth something, and move onto this newer technology? Or is this machine worth holding onto for a while? Just looking for some opinions, thanks
Brian K Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:51 AM   #2
Trustee

Your system looks fine to me.

The only thing I might suggest to improve on is the audio card, if you ever capture audio independently from video. But most people don't.

What editing program are you using? You should wait a bit to see if your program is planning an upgrade that will take advantage of dual-core CPUs, as I don't think any presently does.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Edius Pro

According to Canopus support, Edius does take advantage of dual core processing. I have a PentiumD 940 and I have seen both processors chugging at close to 100% when rendering HDV video. It's great, and tons faster than what I used to have.
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Vystrcil
According to Canopus support, Edius does take advantage of dual core processing. I have a PentiumD 940 and I have seen both processors chugging at close to 100% when rendering HDV video. It's great, and tons faster than what I used to have.
Scott,

What mobo are you using?

Carlos
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I am running Vegas 6. It does take advantage of the dual processors, but I am not sure about any further advantages of Vegas on a dual core...
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

And what platform would recommend for capturing audio only?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian K Jones
And what platform would recommend for capturing audio only?
I haven't seen the latest offerings, but you should look for something that usually separates the pro from the amateur: balanced inputs and/or outputs.

It doesn't need to be XLR types or anything like that, and you don't need too many channels either.

Take a look at the soundcards around and see what you find. Let me know and I will have a look, if you want me too. I will be on a short holiday for two weeks, so take your time.

It doesn't need to be expensive. Mine is rather old and I don't think you will find it around: Echo Mia. But if you find any reference for it, look at the specs and see if you can find anything like it.

If possible stay away from Creative or USB connections.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
Scott,

What mobo are you using?

Carlos
Since it is a Dell machine, I am not sure exactly. It's an Intel 945P chipset. It has an 800/1066 bus (depending on my processor), so I assume it can handle the Extreme Edition CPUs. It has 4 memory slots (2 are used, 1 GB sticks). I have a pdf of the system specs if you want it.
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

More Ram would be my suggestion. 2 Gig MINIMUM.
Oterwise, I would wait for a full upgrade until Intel's new Core 2 Duo (or whatever they are now called) are widely available and compare them to AMD's currently shipping chips. I think it would take a high-end AMD Opteron machine (with 2 dual-core processors - so 4 cores total) to show any real improvement (like 50% improved render time) over what you are using today.
Lawrence Spurgeon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC