Which Program? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 8th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which Program?

I need a editing program thats simple enough to get my feet wet . Since I am new to this I don't think Vegas or something in that class would be a good idea. Gotta walk before I can run. Any suggestions?
ty
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 02:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

iMovie on the Mac or Windows Movie Maker are free.

Pinnacle Studio is highly rated and under $100.

I learned on iMovie. Get the "iMovie Missing Manual" by Pogue.
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 03:13 AM   #3
Wrangler

Premiere is simple enough to be learned by the beginning editor, and there are so many tutorials on the web to get you started. Inserting transitions is quite intuitive... just don't go overboard with the checker wipes and globe spins and...

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #4
Wrangler

I'll second the recommendation of Pinnacle's Studio (particularly Studio 7). I started NLE with Studio 7 and ultimately moved up to Premiere. Premiere isn't hard to use once you understand the underlying concepts of NLE. However, it is expensive and the cost goes to the ability to have control over aspects of a project which won't concern most beginners.

Studio 7 comes very close to providing the same features as Premiere in a much more intuitive package -- there is little I can do in Premiere that I couldn't do in Studio 7, and I was able to turn out videos of which I was very proud and, most importantly, which didn't require compromising my vision because of limitations in the product.

Studio 7 also comes with HollywoodFX, a 3d FX plugin that does incredible transitions (page turns, multiple windows, etc.), and even permits blue- and green-screening.

You'll find Studio 7 heavily discounted -- I've seen it as low as $18, after rebate. Pinnacle has come out with a new product, Studio 8, which isn't a replacement for 7, but has similar features and adds the capability of DVD burning from within the program.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #5
Wrangler

Don't discount Vegas Video. It is very, very, very, very, very easy to use. Intuitive interfaces. My dad who has never used an NLE before picked it up on his own while trying it out on my system, in about an hour.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 04:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Some of the cheaper NLEs like Studio 8 are very limited in what you can do with them. One track for video and two tracks for audio. It's fine for real beginners but you'll quickly outgrow programs like this. Getting Vegas Video or Premiere right from the start would definitely be your best choice. In addition to being fairly easy to use, you can do a lot more with it than you ever could with cheaper ones.
Old February 9th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Actually, I've been using Studio7 since it came out & StudioDV before that. I have not only done some very high end weddings but lots of corporate/commerical work as well and have never had a problem doing what I need to do with it. Now that's not to say I'm not setting up a new box with a more powerful NLE but guess what, it's still Pinnacle just movving up to Edition. With S7, I've done a lot of 2 camera stuff, A/B roll, seperate audio capture etc. Color correct does leave something to be desired but then you're supposed to try to get it right in the 1st place. Today, I just started editing a 3 camera shoot (a wedding) and so far, it's going smooth. You have to know the limits of your equipment and use that to your advantage. The best thing you can do is NOT TRY TO FIX IT IN POST! We get to dependent on the latest and greatest toys and forget about trying to do quality work in the 1st place. OK off the soapbox and back to decaf! BTW, the above is just MHO!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC