Capture problems on new PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 25th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #1
New Boot

Capture problems on new PC

I upgraded my pc to:
Athlon X2 4200, MSI Neo 2 Platinum motherboard, 512mb RAM, 80gb 7200rpm disk, 160gb 7200rpm disk, Geforce 6600gt graphics card.
When I try to capture with Premiere Pro 1.5, it starts and then gives the error "Unknown recorder error". Sometimes it happens after a couple of minutes and sometimes after a few seconds. I have tried the onboard firewire port, a PCI card and another cable all with the same result. I have formatted both disks and reinstalled. The disks are empty exept for XP, forceware drivers and Premiere.
It worked fine on my P4 2.6 with the same memory, disks and graphics card.
My camera is a Canon GL2.
Have anyone had a similar problem? Please, any suggestions are welcome.
Eugene du Plessis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Major Player

I have read that users with a AMD dual core have problems with capturing. The solution for one user vas "I already solved this problem! Installs the AMD driver! Downloads address: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html"

Another solution is to use Scenalyzer LIVE to capture. Scenalyzer LIVE is far more robust and reliable than Premiere Pro's capture tools. You can download a demo version to try it before you buy it. Its well invested $39!

/Roger
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #3
New Boot

[QUOTE=Roger Averdahl]I have read that users with a AMD dual core have problems with capturing. The solution for one user vas "I already solved this problem! Installs the AMD driver! Downloads address: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html"

Thanks a million Roger, the AMD driver did the trick!
I should have asked for help weeks ago.

Thanks again.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Major Player

You're welcome! :)

/Roger
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Inner Circle

So I have been having issues with my capture and editing on USB 2.0 harddrives. Will this help there too?
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
So I have been having issues with my capture and editing on USB 2.0 harddrives. Will this help there too?
If you have a dual core Athlon it cannot hurt to try.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
That is probably related to the USB disk itself. Some people have no problems with USB disks and some people have a lots of problems.

Can you capture and edit to and from your internal drive?

/Roger
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Averdahl
That is probably related to the USB disk itself. Some people have no problems with USB disks and some people have a lots of problems.

Can you capture and edit to and from your internal drive?

/Roger
I have no problems with my internal drives and editing files there. Every thing is fast and great.

I have two USB 2.0 drives, one a Maxtor One touch, and the other I bought the shell/case for and added the hard drive. The same issue seems to occur on both. Both have 7200 RPM 160 HDs. Problem can occur in editing, and outside of editing. For instance, a couple of nights ago, I dragged and dropped a 4+ gig file to one of the drives. It started with the standard transfer ICON, but then about 3/4 through, eveything froze. On a second try I got a blue screen. On the third try, it all transferred. I have similar issues with editing in Premiere Pro 1.51 and 2.0.

So I used the AMD installation drive last night, and I will try the transfer thing again and see if we have any changes. Thanks for you input on my question.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC