Firewire to TV problem - Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 17th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #1
New Boot

Firewire to TV problem - Help!

Hi guys,

I have a conundrum and would love to hear what solutions people have to this...

Ok, I currently edit on 1 computer with 2 x CRT outputs, and an additional firewire output to my video camera, which then thruoghputs RCA's to a 4:3 TV.

For starters the picture is squashed on this. I notice Premiere Pro, and possibly Vegas as well (havent tested yet) has a software 16:9 converter, but the Premiere software converter does a poor job at real time output when converting.

Does anyone use their CRT/LCD as their only source of TV/monitor before final output?

The main problem is that I am getting a second computer for a new staff member, and I guess this means I will need to get another TV for a monitor, unless you have a better idea.

Additionally, I only have 1 video camera, so how will she output to the TV? Do I need to get a breakout box, AVDS or Pyro, or can I use a DVD recorder with Firewire input, RCA output? Or is there a better solution?

Your expert opinions on your solutions to date will help me greatly.

Cheers
Alex
Alex Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #2
Trustee

In regards your 16:9 display problem, some professional 4:3 editing monitors have a 16:9 mode that would do just what you need. Mine does. If you are even halfway serious about editing video it would be a good idea to use an editing monitor instead of a regular consumer television, anyway.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Moss
Hi guys,

For starters the picture is squashed on this. I notice Premiere Pro, and possibly Vegas as well (havent tested yet) has a software 16:9 converter, but the Premiere software converter does a poor job at real time output when converting.
I have a Sony video monitor that is 4:3 (not just a TV set). The very problem you have described - namely wanting to view 16:9 material correctly on a 4:3 display - is what has driven me to develop a realtime software aspect ratio converter (see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69068 ) and I'm actively seeking beta testers. It will let you play an AVI file (e.g., created by Premiere) out to a DV device, converting the DV signal on the fly so that it will appear correct on a 4:3 display.

Attached are a before and after - the example is deliberately chosen to show how interlacing is correctly handled.

I hope to make the beta available for download during the coming week.
Attached Thumbnails
Firewire to TV problem - Help!-native16_9_2.jpg   Firewire to TV problem - Help!-letterboxed_2.jpg  

John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #4
New Boot

Interesting...

Has anyone actually used a DVD recorder with firwire in as an alternative to a video camera or Pyro A/V or the AVDC110?

It seems like an inexpensive alternative while providing a new piece of tech for the office.

Does it work the same as a throughput on a camera?
Alex Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Moss
Interesting...

Has anyone actually used a DVD recorder with firwire in as an alternative to a video camera or Pyro A/V or the AVDC110?

It seems like an inexpensive alternative while providing a new piece of tech for the office.

Does it work the same as a throughput on a camera?
Do you mean for recording 16:9 DV and have the DVD automatically tagged as 16:9? A good question. I know the DV to DVD chips in nearly all of the DV-in recorders do not support all of the embedded data flags in the DV stream. For example, the DV specification allows for closed captioning and the generation of the correct analog signals for it to work. The Sony DSR-11 deck does this. But the chips used in most of the DVD recorders do not support these "extra" features so wouldn't surprise me if the aspect ratio flag gets ignored, too.

I keep meaning to go to Walmart and buy a cheapo DVD recorder with DV-in to see just what they can and cannot do. The realtime aspect ratio converter I mentioned will also work between two DV devices - e.g., your camcorder and a DVD recorder with DV-in.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #6
New Boot

Three monitor CHEAP solution!

I have a two monitor setup (2 19" LCD) and a 17" HDTV LCD TV for preview (ProView). The signal is looped through the record deck (Currently JVC CU-VH1, previously a Sony TRV-9) many cameras have a setting for 16x9or 4x3 that will set the signal to the correct aspect ratio. The Proview has an s-video input which I take out of the deck. If I set the monitor to the aspect ratio that it's being fed I get really good SD 16x9 or 4x3 pictures. I can, as the deck is an HDV (720p) deck, record out to tape and then switch the Proview to RGB in and watch the HD off the tape. This works well.

BUT! I wanna (this is where I whine!) add a 2ed video card and hook the ProView up to it's VGA port and watch the preview from the timeline w/out a deck in the loop at all. Does anyone know if Vegas (I've tried 'em all & Vegas is the King!) can see three monitors? (Help Spot!) I want my two 19"ers for the desktop AND Vegas to see the third monitor as my preview (ie in the drop down w/ Black Magic, OHCI Compliant card, Windows secondary ...) Thoughts anyone?

Gary
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Gary,

I have not been able to run two monitors and have a crt for color corection. I believe if you get a matrox parhelia graphics card you can then run all three from your computer. I just have not taken the plunge yet. I bought a second computer to have networked with one lcd and then the crt.

do not know if I am even on the same page, but I would like to do the same as you are talking about, but a simple fix would be great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC