Minimal Comp Requirements for XL2 editing w/Premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 18th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Minimal Comp Requirements for XL2 editing w/Premiere

Hi Guys... Sorry if this is a repeat question... I searched the forum already but was surpised I couldn't find a direct answer...

This is my first foray into the video world and I just purchased an XL2 with a plethora of lenses and accessories for my first project. I was originally planning on using Final Cut Pro on my roommate's G5, but I don't think that's going to work out... so now I'll have to scrounge up even more funds to put together a machine capable of doing some editing.

What are the minimal requirments for SD video editing on a PC (I'll likely be using Premiere). I'm trying not to go to crazy over budget... I really need something that can just get the job done... I was thinking something along these lines....

Pentium D 2800 Dual-Core Processor
250 GB HD (7200 RPM)
2GB RAM (would 1GB be workable? lemme know...)
128MB PCI Express ATI Radeon X300 SE
DVD/RW
And then I was thinking a 19" flat panel with 16:9 resolution.

I could get that system for like $800 and then another $300 for the screen... which is sort of the budget I was looking to stay in.

Is this system acceptable? Does anything need to be kicked up a notch? Could I tone anything down? Really, I just want a machine that's capable... I don't need a powerhouse just yet.

Thanks!

Charles
Charles Scalesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Trustee

According to the Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 System Requirements page the minimum system specs are:
  • Intel® Pentium® 4 1.4GHz processor for DV (Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor for HDV; dual Intel Xeon™ 2.8GHz processors for HD; SSE2-enabled processor required for AMD systems)
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2
  • 512MB of RAM for DV; 2GB of RAM for HDV and HD
  • 4GB of available hard-disk space for installation
  • Dedicated 7,200RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD
  • Microsoft DirectX-compatible sound card (multichannel ASIO-compatible sound card for surround sound)
  • DVD-ROM drive for installation
  • DVD+-R burner for DVD creation
  • 1,280x1,024 video display with 32-bit color adapter
  • OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 video interface card for DV and HDV (AJA Xena HS for HD)
  • QuickTime 6.5 software
  • Internet or phone connection required for product activation
  • Adobe-recommended graphics card for GPU-accelerated playback (see the full compatible hardware listing)
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to capture DV and HDV via firewire to USB 2?
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Your proposed system is definitely up-to-spec. My system is a 2.26ghz P4, and for the longest time, I was running on 512mb of ram and that was acceptable, now I'm on 1gb and it's definitely more than acceptable. That system should have no problem editing SD at all.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC