External Hard Disks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 31st, 2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

External Hard Disks

Just to let everyone know that on my Toshiba A5 laptop I have been using a 200Gb Maxtor 3.5in external drive thru USB or Firewire as capture/storage for camcorder outputs.

However, one drag of the Maxtor is that one needed also the powerpack unit and wall socket to make it work.

Just got a 2.5in external USB drive in a leather(fake!) pouch giving me 80Gb thru USB2. These drives are fantastic; smaller than 3.5 inch, quiet, cool, no extra power needed, able to fit in carrybags with the laptop. So now I have the unit with the laptop continuously and can continue Vegasing wherever I am.

The only drawback is diskspace, but I connect the Maxtor periodically and suck off the excess captures for later work in Vegas MS Platinum.

My next trick will be to attempt real-time capturing using the camcorder/ilink/laptop/usb drive.
David Errington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

No need for tricks

Live capture works fine even on lazy older laptops - I tested a 1GHz/512 IBM Thinkpad with a 2.5 inch 100 GB Samsung USB hard @ 4200 rpm and it works like a charm.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Gentlemen,

Thanks for sharing!! That is a good bit of information to keep in mind!!

Curiously, when you are shooting direct to capture, where do you keep the laptop and usb drive? Do you have a platforme mount for the tripod or such??

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC