Calibrating Two Monitors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Calibrating Two Monitors?

I have a dual monitor set-up for my video editing, a Viewsonic as my Primary and a Samsung as my secondary...Everything seems to work fine except for the fact that the colour seems different on the two, which is a bit annoying. Is there away to get the colour on the secondary to match that of the primary? The actual settings on the montior don't make much of a difference.

Also, I got new drivers with Nwiz...Can I use this for anything beneficial besides the basic display setup?

The primary monitor's colours seem more vibrant and warmer while the secondary seems paler.
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 05:25 PM   #2
Trustee

You should buy a colorimeter if you really care about getting accurate color. You can get them to match by fiddling with the controls, but what if they are both wrong? The only way to get them to meet an objective standard is to use a hardware device.

It also helps if you use similar monitors, rather than say a CRT from one brand and an LCD from another.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There is a low cost device called a "Huey" which helps in monitor calibration.

The list price is $80.00. The following is the manufacturers website:

http://www.pantone.com/products/prod...&idProduct=103

There are other more expensive units available. I can not personally vouch for this unit as I have not used it.

Also, I do not know if this unit will work with a dual monitor setup.

A google search for "Huey" and "Pantone" will bring up many items of interest.
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sorry to hijack thread, but I dident think this question warrented a new thread.

I have just started using dual monitors for Avid Pro. When I press to play the project screen it automatically shows a full screen preview on the other monitor. How do I stop this?

Thanks
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

If you have a Nvidia video card, you can fudge with the video card's controls a little bit so that they look more similar. What actually happens is that it changes the look-up table (LUT) on the video card, so this affects everything you see on the monitor.

With the hardware calibration devices:
A- I don't believe they work that well.
See http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...tion_tools.htm
B- They usually generate ICC profiles, which require an application that does color management to make use of it. It generally doesn't affect everything that happens on your monitor (like the video card's LUT would). I believe the ICC color management system/standard allows for much more sophisticated control over the image than the video card's LUTs do.
C- For video work, a broadcast-grade (CRT) monitor is still a very effective way to get accurate color. Computer monitors just don't quite cut it in my opinion.

2- I don't know if this is possible on your monitors, but you should try matching the white points. Display a black and white photo on both monitors, and eyeball it.
Your CRT hopefully has "user RGB" controls or something like that.

This is so your white balance doesn't drift as you move your eyes between the monitors. Your vision has an auto white balance of sorts.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Antoniou
Sorry to hijack thread, but I dident think this question warrented a new thread.

I have just started using dual monitors for Avid Pro. When I press to play the project screen it automatically shows a full screen preview on the other monitor. How do I stop this?

Thanks
No worries, I've sorted it.
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #7
New Boot

Sorry for askin here, but didnt want to start a new topic:

Does Pinnacle MediaSuite/Studio 10 or Ulead MediaStudio/VideoStudio support 2 screens? I have extended Desktop here and I couldnt benefit from it yet...

Thanx a lot in advance

Es lebe die jüdische Community!
Ariel Fleischer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC