DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   where to buy hardware? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/7628-where-buy-hardware.html)

Adi Head March 11th, 2003 05:57 PM

where to buy hardware?

hi. where's a good place to buy hardware online, that ships internationally?
thanx

Adi Head March 15th, 2003 03:14 PM

an online store that ships in the u.s. is ok too. anyone?

Keith Loh March 15th, 2003 04:06 PM

You are speaking a bit too generally. Hardware as in what. PC? Camera? Accessories?

Adi Head March 15th, 2003 04:19 PM

looking to build a pc for video editing purposes and am looking for an online store - fair prices, friendly service, prompt shipment - to order from.

can anyone suggest a place or two for me to check out?

thanks.

Mike Rehmus March 15th, 2003 07:51 PM

I'd not like to order computer components from anyone with whom I couldn't have a quick exchange should a part be defective. The transit time from here to there would be fairly long unless you like to pay very high rates.

The way most folks handle this is to find someone in the US who will buy the bits and bring them as part of their baggage. The buyer may even build up the computer and then take it apart for transit.

I'm trying to think of a company that I'd trust and I realize I don't know any. They are going to charge you for the export paperwork that must be completed on this end. And they have to be very careful to not run afowl of the export controls on computer components. The US Government is very careful and vengeful about these things.

Perhaps Amazon, who (I think) has a UK location might be able to help.

Keith Loh March 15th, 2003 08:50 PM

Prices are so competitive you would be better to check locally and build from parts you get locally.

However, if you really want piece of mind, the companies I've worked for have had good experiences with both Gateway and Dell.

Craig Webster March 16th, 2003 09:02 AM

Re: where to buy hardware?

Quote:

Originally posted by Adi Head :
hi. where's a good place to buy hardware online, that ships internationally?
thanx

Check out pricewatch, then go to resellerratings to see if they have a good reputation. As Keith suggests, buying locally for a complete system might be more cost effective and less hassle. Surely prices in Israel aren't so pricey that you'd be forced to source a complete solution from abroad? Cases and PSU's are quite weighty. Freight costs alone would likely eat up savings.

Adi Head March 16th, 2003 10:56 AM

thanks. i checked and found out that buying the hardware here will be more expensive (even after taking shipping into account), but i guess you're right about having a local address to go to incase anything won't work properly. i'll shop in tel aviv. thanks.