where to buy hardware? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 11th, 2003, 05:57 PM   #1
Major Player

where to buy hardware?

hi. where's a good place to buy hardware online, that ships internationally?
thanx
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #2
Major Player

an online store that ships in the u.s. is ok too. anyone?
Old March 15th, 2003, 04:06 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

You are speaking a bit too generally. Hardware as in what. PC? Camera? Accessories?
Old March 15th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #4
Major Player

looking to build a pc for video editing purposes and am looking for an online store - fair prices, friendly service, prompt shipment - to order from.

can anyone suggest a place or two for me to check out?

thanks.
Old March 15th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #5
Wrangler

I'd not like to order computer components from anyone with whom I couldn't have a quick exchange should a part be defective. The transit time from here to there would be fairly long unless you like to pay very high rates.

The way most folks handle this is to find someone in the US who will buy the bits and bring them as part of their baggage. The buyer may even build up the computer and then take it apart for transit.

I'm trying to think of a company that I'd trust and I realize I don't know any. They are going to charge you for the export paperwork that must be completed on this end. And they have to be very careful to not run afowl of the export controls on computer components. The US Government is very careful and vengeful about these things.

Perhaps Amazon, who (I think) has a UK location might be able to help.
Old March 15th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #6
Air China Pilot

Prices are so competitive you would be better to check locally and build from parts you get locally.

However, if you really want piece of mind, the companies I've worked for have had good experiences with both Gateway and Dell.
Old March 16th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #7
Tourist

Re: where to buy hardware?

Quote:
Originally posted by Adi Head :
hi. where's a good place to buy hardware online, that ships internationally?
thanx
Check out pricewatch, then go to resellerratings to see if they have a good reputation. As Keith suggests, buying locally for a complete system might be more cost effective and less hassle. Surely prices in Israel aren't so pricey that you'd be forced to source a complete solution from abroad? Cases and PSU's are quite weighty. Freight costs alone would likely eat up savings.
Craig Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #8
Major Player

thanks. i checked and found out that buying the hardware here will be more expensive (even after taking shipping into account), but i guess you're right about having a local address to go to incase anything won't work properly. i'll shop in tel aviv. thanks.
Adi Head is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC