Photo panning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 6th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Photo panning

There is software for the Mac called Photo to Movie for zooming and panning on still photos. Does anyone know if there is something similar for Windows XP?

Or is there a way to do that in Premiere 6.5?

Thanks.
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I use Premiere 6.5 (or versions down to 5, I think) do this by right clicking on a video clip (or the still shot you want to zoom in on) in the timeline and go to video options, motion. It's pretty easy from there if your used to premiere, if not just experiment and you'll get the hang of it. Adobes site also has so tutorials. I Think.
Jacob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Premiere doesn't internally handle stills larger than video resolution. Zooming reduces picture quality quite rapidly.

On the PC side you have at least two options to use high resolution stills: StageTools Moving Picture (www.stagetools.com) and Canopus Imaginate (www.canopus.com).

Both of these have a standalone application and a Premiere plugin.
Jami Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

That is true premiere can not resize images to the correct size, but if you have a photo editing program such as Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, or Photoimpact (or lots of other programs) you can size the picture into the normal video resolution.

Also if your wanting high res you can just double the size (720x480) to 1440x960 or as high as you want. And premiere will not distort it.
Jacob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Premiere doesn't internally handle stills larger than video resolution.
Sorry, but that's completely wrong. Premiere 6.5 (and 6.0) most definitely DOES handle stills larger than video resolution without reducing picture quality.

Quote:
I use Premiere 6.5 (or versions down to 5, I think) do this by right clicking on a video clip (or the still shot you want to zoom in on) in the timeline and go to video options, motion.
Do not use the Motion tool, which does not work with the still's original resolution but, instead, uses only video resolution and will degrade images when zoomed.

Instead, use the Image Pan filter (Click on Video - Transform to find it). It accepts stills up to a maximum resolution of 4,000 by 4,000 pixels, permits zooming without ANY loss of resolution (up to the limits of the size of the still, i.e. a 4,000 x 4,000 pixel still can be zoomed by a factor of approximately 5 times before there will be any image degradation). Using the Image Pan filter, I can produce perfect "Ken Burns" style pans and zooms of still photographs.

To constrain the aspect ratio, i.e. keep the original proportions of the still, hold down the ALT key, while clicking on the sizing window.

I've found that, for the smoothest results, it is better to resize and imported stills to the Premiere's maximum resolution, i.e. the longest dimension of a rectangular still should be resized (in Photoshop or other image manipulation program) to 4,000 pixels. I also find that TIFF files work better than BMP files, and either works better than JPEG.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks to all of you!

I love this forum!
Old March 7th, 2003, 02:42 PM   #7
Trustee

Isn't there a FAQ around here somewhere for which this excellent tidbit from Paul would be a great addition?
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Good question, Imran. We actually are working on an "FAQ" facility for many of the forums that will point toward various threads. This will be established as "Notices" posted at the top of forums. Look for it soon.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 05:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Tauger : Sorry, but that's completely wrong. Premiere 6.5 (and 6.0) most definitely DOES handle stills larger than video resolution without reducing picture quality. -->>>

Isn't it funny how you think you know something but the next day you find out that actually you have only scratched the surface.

Thank you for this little but valuable piece of info. I had no idea that the Image Pan works in another way than the motion tool.
Jami Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Photo Panning - FAQ

I keep a shortcut to a notepad file on my desktop. When I come across something like Paul's excellent advice on using the image pan effect I open the file and paste it in. I've found it very convenient for URLs and content. I guess it's a FAQ-in-progress.
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:08 AM   #11
Wrangler

Cinestream does pan & zoom too and its available for Macs. I'd be very surprised to find out that this feature was not incorporated on most of the better NLEs.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I know it's been said in other threads, but I strongly feel like this needs repeating:

THIS FORUM ROCKS!

I have been struggling with Avid Xpress DV (via the plug-in) trying to do panning and zooming of stills for a couple of months now.

Avid is great, but the learning curve is like a 90-degree angle brick wall. (IMHO)

I was able to finish a project in two hours with Premier last night using the recommendations here.

Like another poster said: I thought I knew Premier pretty well, but I'm now finding out that I have just scratched the surface.

Just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone!

-Phil

FCC Licensed Electronics Technician (GROL)
Amateur Radio - KC4UVU
Life Member of the PSHA - Pinnacle Studio Haters of America
Phil Reams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #13
Grinner Hester

I like to use After Effects for this.
I like to cut out principals and properties and scale them differently... not unlike the intro to 'Life of a Married Man'. You can add blur to only parts or effects to others. Fun stuff.

grin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC