16x9 not correctly outputting, need help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Tourist

16x9 not correctly outputting, need help

Hello,

I have put together a really short short. It was shot on a Panasonic GS250 in its 16x9 mode (NOT cinema=black bar mask). I have it all put together in Avid. My problem is avid imported it as 4x3, then on the timeline windows I right clicked to 16x9 video so I can edit it in its native aspect ratio. I have everything edited and now I want A. put on a DVD that will be displayed on a 4x3 television and B. Online.

Using Sorenson Squeeze I have taken the quicktime reference file and made a mpg. Not matter what settings I seem to do like: pixel aspect ratio, leaving the aspect ratio, or setting my own frame demensions my image is always a 16x9 stretched in a 4x3 screen. What I would like is to have black horizontal bars. How do I do this?

I know it can be done because I have taken the same 16x9 footage imported into Adobe elements and Adobe automatically recongnizes some sort of meta data on tape and puts the horizontal bars on the editing view window and later on when encoding into mpg.

My edited sequence is in Avid so I thought I could export it to tape and then import into elements and then use Adobe to make an mpeg. What happens though when I do a crash record to tape in Avid, my cam (acting as a Deck) doesnt immediately recognize the footage as 16x9 and stretches it then like 2 seconds of recording realizes and puts it into 16x9 with the horizontal black bars. Anytime I have black padding inbetween shots the cam switches back to 4x3 and then when footage comes back its take a while then goes into 16x9.

To sum it up, how do I take my edited native 16x9 footage and put onto a DVD for 4x3 playback (horizontal black bars)?
Ian Rose is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC