How to capture Hi-8 videotapes for editing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 4th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Major Player

How to capture Hi-8 videotapes for editing?

I have a Sony CCD-TRV608 NTSC video Hi8 camera and two Hi-8 tapes, but I have no idea how to capture this onto my computer for editing.

Does anyone know how? The only connection this camera has is a DC power port and a USB (probably USB 1) plug, S Video Out, A/V out, and RFU DC out port.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Major Player

It depends on what features your computer has, particularly the graphics card. Do you know what it is? Some have video input so you can capture via that.

Alternatively, if you know anyone with a Sony Digital8 camcorder, you can play the Hi8 tapes in it and a digital signal will be available via a Firewire connection. If you have a Firewire port on your computer, this would be a simple solution.

A standalone DVD recorder will let you record the analog output from your Hi8 camcorder directly onto a DVD (in MPEG2 format). This can then be used in your PC.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Major Player

I use for that ATI AIW Radeon graphic card. Very old model. But it's Theatre chipset gives best compression quality i've found from entry level analog capture cards.
Another possible option is to use DV camcorder as A/D converter.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Wrangler

See also this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72216
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #5
Major Player

When I purchased my Mac laptop many years ago I bought a fantastic little gizmo which converts RF, S-Video, and Composite video to Firewire. I think it was made by Format. It only cost about £100 (200us). I'll go and dig it out and have a look for the model number and do a google search to see if anyone still sells them. It will convert in the other direction too. Firewire to analogue. Also has analogue stereo audio inputs. It's served me well for many years!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thames
I have a Sony CCD-TRV608 NTSC video Hi8 camera and two Hi-8 tapes, but I have no idea how to capture this onto my computer for editing.

Does anyone know how? The only connection this camera has is a DC power port and a USB (probably USB 1) plug, S Video Out, A/V out, and RFU DC out port.
Hi8 does not transfer video directly to a computer.

Best way to capture Hi 8 is to get a hold of a Digital 8 Sony camera. Most are configured to play and transfer 8 mm and Hi 8 to the computer by firewire. You might be able to get a used one fairly cheap just to act as a deck.

Second best option is to get a video capture card that will capture via s-video and/or composite ports. I've used Pinnacle in the past, and they provide a decent beginning level editor/DVD production suite in their Studio software, if that is what you are looking for..
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Really not worth fooling around with capturing analog video - just ask around, there are many left over D8 camcorders, most of them collecting dust in your friend's drawers some place.
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Duplicate post
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Plextor Convertx m-402 USB2

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/M402U.htm

Only $100-150. Worked great for me capturing all my VHS tapes over to the computer.

Take your S-Video out to the S-Video in of the plextor and throw it right on your computer. Has built-in hardware MPEG conversion or you can capture as avis....
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #10
New Boot

I bought a ADVC 300 video converter from Canopus for these scenarios. It works great.
David Kidd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC