Vegas 4 vs Premiere 6.5 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 7th, 2003, 02:41 AM   #46
Major Player

It is hard to imagine any software company that certainly will NOT be sold, merge or undergo radical changes (to the worse) during the next year or two. The fact that a company makes money is no guarantee against major changes.

Last Friday Vegas 4.0b was announced. Here is the short quote: "The latest update (4.0b), free to Vegas 4 and VegasŪ+DVD registered users, provides editing and rendering of high-definition digital video, enhanced 24p capabilities, and support for Panasonic's new AG-DVX100 24p camera."

See this link for details: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030404/45170_1.html

Even if I knew they were cracking up as a company, - which nobody does - I'd rush to get my hands on the product before it disappears.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #47
Major Player

Regarding replication, I have yet to find a replicator who will do DVD-9 from a master other than DLT. DVD-R is limited to DVD-5, but that's also based on supplying authoring media as opposed to general media. I sure would be interested to know of any replicator who can do DVD-9 from non-DLT masters.

The best selling DVD authoring program over $100 on the PC side appears to be Ulead's DVD Workshop. Its list price is $300, although to be completely fair the version that supports AC-3 authoring is $500.

DVD Architect isn't sold alone. Vegas is just under $500 and Vegas+DVD is $700, so the value of DVD Architect is $200. Although AC-3 can't be managed by DVD Architect, its AC-3 functionality appears to match that stated by Adobe for Encore in that AC-3 content can be imported and encoded.

The bottom line here is that DVD Architect looks like a bargain, while appearing to match the capabilities of DVD Workshop and Encore. The only open question is whether Encore can author a DVD-9, which would make it a breakthrough product at the $500 price point on PCs. Well, I suppose another open question is what Sonic and Ulead plan to do in their next versions.

I don't want to be a pain in the butt about this, but the Encore documents do not specifically say that the product can author a DVD-9. Apple's DVD Studio Pro, even version 1.5, does make this statement (although it's amazingly hard to find). No other moderately-priced authoring package makes the statement, either.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #48
Major Player

Hey, I'm a "certifiable" Vegas fanatic but DVDA does not really match the claimed features of Adobe's new DVD software at this time. Maybe by the time Adobe's is released but not close yet...
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 04:53 AM   #49
Regular Crew

There has been lots posted re the Premiere vs Vegas so I hope someone can answer my question :-)

I've used Premiere in its different versions since I started NLE as Adobe products are preferred suppliers to our National Health Service, so I've never tried anything else... I am tempted to download the Vegas trial and see what it is like, BUT, over the years I've found that Premiere is a tad fussy over what other software is loaded on the PC at the same time.

I am very much a 'turnkey' user when it comes to PCs so my question is, what are the chances of overwriting my existing Premiere settings with Vagas ones i.e. codex's etc. In the past I learned the hard way and found that loading other software 'upset' Premiere and required our IT chaps to get into the guts of the programme to restore files to get it to work again.

My apologies for such a vague question but I hope to get the idea of what I'm on about!

I capture using the Pinnacle DV500 black box btw.

Ross
Ross Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 05:47 AM   #50
Warden

I'll second your experience with Premiere not playing well with others. I wouldn't play with fire if your Premiere application is mission critical. Do you have another machine to try the Vegas download on?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 06:09 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Not with the 'bits' to capture - but I could look at the software on another machine - any idea if it comes with sample files or would I need to copy over some .avi's ...hmmmm would it recognise avi's captured by Pinnacle/Premiere?

ROss
Old April 8th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #52
Warden

Good questions worthy of their own topic.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 07:01 AM   #53
Major Player

vegas + premiere

I can say that i ran vegas video 3 and premiere 6.5 on my old machine together and they didn't bother each other in the slightest.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #54
Regular Crew

I think I'll play safe and load it onto another machine ... "he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day".

Thanks for the advice folks.

Ross
Old April 8th, 2003, 08:15 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Sorry for the question but, what is NLE?

Thanks
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #56
Major Player

N on
L inear
E diting
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #57
Major Player

Closure for Will

I bought Vegas today. I'm selling Premiere. My days of indecision are over.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #58
Tourist

I have been using Vegas for a year now and all I can say is WOW!! This software is addictive. I can't stop playing with it. I have been getting into the advanced functionality of the software lately and just having a blast. I have not yet found anything that I wanted to do (technically or artistically) that Vegas could not do. Absolutely awesome software! I downloaded the Premiere demo and gave up after a couple of days. Vegas 4.0+DVD ROCKS!! Highly recommend it. Oh and one more thing...IT NEVER CRASHES.
Old April 8th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #59
Major Player

Interesting that many will use the stability of a company's stock to determine their NLE purchase. As someone has mentioned the Amiga had the first and original Video Toaster and it worked like a charm to some extent. I can tell our local public access TV channel used to use it because of the guru meditation messages it used to display...anyway, look guys, if you learn one platform, regardless of your age, you CAN learn another one with probably nothing more than a quick overview or refresher course, if anyting you will have to edit with the manual close by.

I think if you are a sole propriator doing weddings, events, etc and your current NLE works and you know how to troubleshoot your own computer bugs then why does it matter if there is no support for it? Other than the ever changing MS upgrades and your old and tried NLE will become obselete, even then if it has done the work it was suppose to do, then it paid for itself already and it is time to upgrade if you feel it is time. If not then, leave it as a standalone PC using whatever OS you are using now using the same config in hardware and I bet you this will last for at least 5 years.

There goes the support questions, not to mention user groups that will form out of love for the NLE. The other issue I wanted to touch up on, if one would based their purchasing decision on a company's stock, a company's net worth or market capitalization, then by this premise should one purchase a NLE created by Microsoft? Which is probably, arguably one of the strongest, most stable, riches companies around. I know MS took their hits in stock, but these are individual investor losses, you think Bill Gates has now turned down the heat during winter and turned up the AC during the summer or eats Nissin Ramen once a week to make ends meet? No way. But how many of us will buy a NLE package from MS? This is the same company who ruined Visio :) Who gave us products like Movie Maker 2...LOL Imagine a professional, "I edited your wedding using MM2". This company also has long erased the premise that if one was to buy MS it will be running great with the MS OS. So there you go. On last thing and this is definitely tongue in cheek, Come on guys you guys recovered from switching from Macs to PC's, if you can do that then you can change NLE's :) BTW, it was MS who saved apple during the late 90's.
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #60
Major Player

Yo Tim. Great seeing you here. I have been having a great time with Vegas too. Powerful, stable and just fun to edit with.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC