Capturing to external hard drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 6th, 2003, 02:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Capturing to external hard drive

I having problems with my usb 2 pcmcia card and I was wondering if anyone has successfully captured video using this firewire setup.

I know the firewire port on my computer works so I was going to buy a firewire hub and connect both the camcorder and the external drive (or I guess the camcorder and hard drive could be daisy chained together). Will I be able to capture directly to the external drive using this setup?

The only reason I think this will not work is because data will have to flow in both directions simulaneously through the firewire cable.

Thanks,
Reed
Reed Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #2
Warden

I can't speak specifically to your PC, but Daisy Chaining FireWire devices poses no problem on Macs. In fact I do it on a Powerbook with a 4200rpm drive without problems. The PCMCIA connection might actually be a bottleneck for the data and part of the problem. USB 2 should have no problem either.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #3
Wrangler

I've been doing that successfully on an ancient laptop and an external firewire hard drive. Works great hasn't dropped a frame yet.

But I do notice that when I use the USB port that I can lose the firewire connection - I have to restart the drive if I hot plug my digital camera.

Specs:
Maxtor 1394 PCMCIA card
ADS Pyro case
7200 rpm Western Digital Drive
Dell Laptop - Pentium II Celeron (ouch)
Win 2K
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #4
Wrangler

Oh, and I daisy chain the video cameras through the back of the firewire drive, no problems capturing hours of video.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for your help.

One more question. Is 5400 RPM enough for capturing dv video or should I go for an external drive with 7200 RPM?

Reed
Reed Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #6
Air China Pilot

7200 RPM drives are CHEAP. No brainer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC