iMovie equivalent for PC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 25th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Major Player

iMovie equivalent for PC?

Hey PC guys. I've looked in the archives for inexpensive/easy PC editors but haven't seen anything other than Pinnacle 9 suggestions from Dec. 94. I need to give my PC friend some suggestions on video editors. I'm a Mac FCP guy, so its a different ball park for me.

I'd say the only thing he will do for a month or so is just make DVDs out of his min-dv tapes. I have to get him a DVD burning drive too.

I know he has XP. But I'm not sure if he upgraded to it from an older OS, so I don't know if all upgrades to XP contain Windows Movie Maker. Even if it did, I don't know if WMM even works or will allow simple DVD authoring/burning.

I told him that I thought a simple clean editor and dvd burning software would probably be around $100, so that's the range I'm looking for.

I don't expect this friend to quit his job and take up videography seriously.

And last but not least- a dumb PC capture question. I'm a firewire guy and that's all I know. But I see USB2 connections on cameras and wanted to know if a PC can capture from USB2 or if that is just for the still pictures- not video.

Thanks,
Scott

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ulead Video Studio 10 Plus $99

http://www.ulead.com/vs/features_plus.htm

This program has a lot of features for the money; can even do Blu Ray. There is a less expensive version ($69) that leaves out some features like Dolby 5.1.
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Routt
I know he has XP. But I'm not sure if he upgraded to it from an older OS, so I don't know if all upgrades to XP contain Windows Movie Maker. Even if it did, I don't know if WMM even works or will allow simple DVD authoring/burning.
Do you know if he has any plans on upgrading to Vista? It has Windows Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker. i.e., a simple DVD authoring/burning app with a very friendly and easy interface.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks about the Ulead and no, I don't think he will upgrade to Vista.

My family uses our XP PC and so far I haven't read of a good reason to upgrade it, but I'm willing to hear about it. Got to admit, my XP machine is adequate. I've been tempted to test it with video, but since I can't afford Premeir or Vegas, I don't think I'd be giving the PC a fair chance it deserves. Ooohh but if I had it to do over again, it would be nice not to feel like a hostage to Apple.

The one good thing about having a Mac, is that the rest of the family is intimidated by it, so I know they won't be downloading problematic programs.

Old January 25th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Win XP comes with Movie Maker loaded on the system. That would be the comparable to iMovie. Pretty sure that all XP installs come with it, i have one machine with "Pro" and one with "Home" and they both have it.

As far as capturing footage. The USB2 on the different cameras are for loading the pictures (off the SD or whatever card), not for capturing from the tape. I tried many different hacks to try and get the video to feed through that USB port but it just doesn't work. Firewire only.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Vegas Movie Studio with DVD Architect (about $80).

Great package.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Scott,

all DV camcorders have firewire, the USB port you have seen are more than likely on hard drive based camcorders. On those, yes, the USB can transfer the video to your computer, but that's not DV, it's MPEG2.
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Do beginning packages like ulead and Vegas Movie Studio have color correction? FCP has a three way color correction tool and tools like that are a cheap camera's best friend, especially when editing video taken inside.

Old January 28th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Re: The USB connection, yes, you can transfer video, depending on the NLE you are using. In the long, long ago I tried to use the USB connection in Premiere (I didn't know any better at the time) and couldn't do it because there just wasn't any option in Premiere to digitize via USB. But I was able to digitize via USB with Windows Movie Maker. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend digitizing through USB.

I believe the main purpose of the USB connection is to transfer photos. In my experience, I have not come across a camcorder with a USB connection that didn't include the option of recording stills.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC