Motherboard with built-in video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 5th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Motherboard with built-in video?

Can I use motherboards with built-in video in video editing, software based editing only (prem 2.0) no editing cards installed. I cant afford to buy the Asus p5b deluxe, The non deluxe version of p5b does'nt have firewire ports only the p5b-vm plus built-in video.

Proc: E6600 2.4g Core2Duo
Memory: 2x1gb ddr667
Board: ????
Hardisk?: 2x320gb
Juan Dela Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Integrated video in motherboard

If you do go with this, consider a mobo that you can later on disable the built in video so you can then buy a separate card. I can say generally though these mobo's are really designed for business use, not more demanding multimedia editing apps.

I would recommend you avoid integrated video in your mobo (motherboard). It usually uses shared memory off RAM and even that amount available may not be enough (sometimes as little as 1Meg) to run a large monitor at good color depth.

Am guessing you are on tight budget? I might recommend you consider ASRock mobo and EVGA video cards. The ASRock (which I bought to be a cheap replacement for my non-NLE PC) has evolved nicely into a powerful HDV NLE system. Mine is AMD socket 939, but if you look at the features, it compares favorably - firewire, e-SATA, SATA, IDE and USB out the wazoo. Stable too. Asus has a better overall mobo (more pcb layers, better fab etc) but this is more cost effective. I throw away my pc after about three years, so I don't care if I burn it up.

I suggest EVGA as they are the first video card company I've met that I can call them at 2:30 AM and get a human for support. I could never reach anyone at PNY, even during business hours. EVGA also has a nice trade-up program, (for 90 days) in case they come out with a better card after you just bought yours. They are Nvidea based.

Also, Seagate's sata 320gig HDD's, consider three, so you can build a decent RAID.
I suggest newegg.com to purchase.

PS The cpu you picked should be kick butt... great balance between price/performance... good pick.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #3
New Boot

I was also wondering about this question, as my MB has an 8Mb video card built in - which of course is useless for *anything* to do with graphics - the problem is i dont have an AGP slot nor do i have any PCI-e slots.

I only have 6 PCI-X slots (this used to be a server)

It's got loads of RAM and two 3Ghz Xeons - with hyperthreading support...

I bought a normal PCI gfx card with 256Mb of memory - which is much better, but my question is:

in the actual editing, does the video card play an important role or is it the pure CPU grunt that is required? i know for 3d stuff, games and the like, my PCI based gfx card is way way behind - since on my other system - which has 8x AGP slot - it kicks at games.

Also for rendering/preview, does the video card have any bearing on speed or again is it pure CPU power??
Khaled Chatila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC