Optimal external drive for lap top as main scratch disk - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I am guessing capturing on firewire and interfacing with computer by USB is perfectly fine for the capture process. Then, while rendering and editing, you'd probably want to go back to the firewire to computer... just a guess.

As for VISTA, my lap top came with it, but yes, I am definitely thinking of going back to XP. Vista is a little more fancy visually and I do like the explore functions etc. but overall there is really no reason why I should take up 60% of a one gig chip just to run my system...

cheers,
Michael
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #17
Trustee

John,

What tests did you use?

If you consider transfer rates for NLE work not overly important, what are the measures that do impact performance in your opinion? AFAIK transfer rates are the MOST important measure for NLE, not sound level or idle power consumption.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:43 PM   #18
Major Player

Sorry for not replying sooner - I've just seen this (!)

I used our DV processing software to do burn timecode, convert aspect ratio and some color correction on a DV AVI file, writing the processed version to a new file on a separate drive. (i.e., I had two drives - for the FireWire case, I used two separate interfaces - one on the mobo, another on a PCI card).

Basically, I ran the process once with both drives connected via FireWire and then repeated it with both connected via USB2.0. The difference in overall processing time was about 1%. The total time for the processing was about 125 seconds. Without any processing - effectively just a straight copy but using the DirectShow infrastructure - the time was about 70 seconds. A direct file copy via Windows Explorer took about 40 seconds. I have to say I expected to see a significant difference but was pleasantly surprised that using USB2.0 did not seem to have a negative impact.

When I get a chance, I'll run some simple comparisons using GraphEdit - basically, copy one DV AVI to another using FireWire and then USB2.0. I'll compare those times to the direct copy via Explorer.
John Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC