Video looks so dark - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:26 PM   #16
Major Player

You were right, Don. I just loaded one of my really dark clips and played back to tape. Even though I can't see anything in Vegas, it comes out perfect going back to tape. Will I get the same output results when I render to MPEG 2 and burn on DVD?
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:49 PM   #17
Major Player

I should never have doubted you. . . burned one that looked dark in vegas to dvd, looks as good as it did in the camera.

Thanks
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:06 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Harry,
I'm glad it worked out for you.
Anytime I get a new piece of equipment, hardware or software, I always put it thru some paces with a known entity before I put it into production. That has saved me from losing any more hair however it has caused some gray :)
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:49 AM   #19
RED Code Chef

So is there any way to lighten up Vegas' preview screen without
actually changing the footage?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:59 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Rob,
I think the only way might be to adjust the computer monitor your using.
It's funny, when I used Studio7 the preview was dark but not as dark as Vegas.
As I said though, on a TV or production monitor the footage looks fine, so I guess it's like looking at an LCD on a camera, I have mine set up brighter but maybe yours is 3 notches darker so if I looked at yours and was trying to adjust exposure I might think the exposure on your camera needed to be changed when it really didn't need to be. There doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason just call it going by the seat of your pants.
Nothing beats good guestimation :>)
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:01 PM   #21

dark video

I get the same thing because I have my computer tweaked down, since much of the content on the Net is set higher than you'd want on video.

I ALWAYS check my footage on my studio monitor. You can use a cheap TV, too, and get a better image than you will on the computer monitor. Hook your firewire cable into your camera and turn it on to VCR playback. Then output from the camera to the TV. Make sure you have the (external preview) button turned on in Vegas.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:23 PM   #22
Major Player

So maybe RaggadyAnne (remember her, the original question?) should hook her camera up to a professional monitor, play back a tape, and compare the picture on the monitor with her lcd, and try to tweak the lcd to match the monitor.

Whaddaya think?

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:51 PM   #23
High School Student

Hook a TV up to your computer, as a monitor, and adjust your computer monitor until it looks about as bright. Video is ALWAYS darker on computer monitors, and it never looks as good as on a TV (usually beacause of interlacing reasons..).
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 02:05 PM   #24
Warden

Televisions (monitors) and computer monitors operate in different color space and Gamma. I'm sure there are PC programs to calibrate your monitor and build custom profiles for your computer monitor. At the very least you can change the gamma, brightness and contrast to better match your video scenes.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #25
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Televisions (monitors) and computer monitors operate in different color space and Gamma. I'm sure there are PC programs to calibrate your monitor and build custom profiles for your computer monitor. At the very least you can change the gamma, brightness and contrast to better match your video scenes. -->>>

He's right. The exact figures are as follows. In Photoshop Level's terms, the whitest white NTSC can produce is 235 (thats 15 points away from 255) and the darkest dark is 16 (16 points from pure black 0). To fix the stills you take from DV footage open Levels dialogue box and change the input sliders of your white and black point to 16 and 235. If it still seems a bit dark, tweak the gamma (grey point) center slider. Hope this helps.

As far as footage looking dark in your NLE, adjust your video card's Overlay in advanced options under Properties> Settings> Advanced. Barring your using a PC and not Mac.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:57 AM   #26
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : So is there any way to lighten up Vegas' preview screen without
actually changing the footage? -->>>

You could apply a TRACK or PROJECT filter to brighten the image, do all of your editing, and then remove the filter before the final render.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC