capture card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 29th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #1
New Boot

capture card

Why would you buy a high end capture card compaired to a cheeper end card? What benfiets do you get?
Tim McGreggor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

If by high end you mean one of the real time cards, you get real time rendering of all the effects in your video, saving you rendering time when you finish it. Not a big deal to all people, but gold to others. These cards are in the $800-$1200 range. Some of them include breakout boxes which allow a variety of inputs including analogue capture.

If instead you mean, something like a $300 capture card vs. a $30 capture card, it's pretty much the software package included that adds the extra price.

FWIW, I use a $25 capture card . There is no difference in captured picture quality between a cheap card and a $1200 card, in case you were wondering..
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

"you get real time rendering of all the effects in your video"

Well... maybe not "ALL" - some effects still need rendering and NOT in real time.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #4
Wrangler

True.
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #5
Major Player

It used to be a really big deal. When computers were a lot slower, the difference between a low end capture card and a "real time" card could be huge. These days it isn't as important.

I have a Canopus RexRT system which does great color correction, filters and keying in mostly real time. I also edit with Video Vegas using a low cost OHCI card.

These days I spend a lot more time editing using the OHCI card than I do the Rex not because of the card but because of software. I love Vegas which does about everything that I need, whereas the Rex card really only works with Premiere, which I find buggy and annoying.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have wondered the same thing Tim. I just have a Western Digital 3 port firewire card which I think cost me like $30 bucks if I remember right. As for real-time previews, I use Premiere 6.5 that does that no matter what card I use. Plus I can use it to plug in other devices such as my external hard drive; the capture cards I have seen are strickly for cameras and will not see hard drives and other devices. If you can find a card that does something totally schweet that mine can't let me know. I'm sure all NLE apps can use my card and if it doesn't have real-time built in, I wouldn't be using it.
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Please avoid the Canpous DV Raptor-RT. It's flaky even on a system conforming to the published HCL. I've ditched mine in favour of an OHCI card costs a tenth of the price. Many new mainboards include a firewire port, which should be good enough.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC