Raid1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Raid1

Hey Guys,

I just bought myself 2 400gb freecom 7200rpm drivers for use with AE, PP2, photoshop and Illustrator.

So my question is... how safe is it 2 run a raid 1 configuration. i read on wikipedia that there was a 1:500 chance of it dying and then the other one could fail as well. die is quite a strong word.

what are your experiences with Raid and any good bad points you can think of? links etc?

Thanks Guys

Liam

im pc also and XP
1gb ram
p4 2.8
ati graphics card x700
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Carlin View Post
Hey Guys,

I just bought myself 2 400gb freecom 7200rpm drivers for use with AE, PP2, photoshop and Illustrator.

So my question is... how safe is it 2 run a raid 1 configuration. i read on wikipedia that there was a 1:500 chance of it dying and then the other one could fail as well. die is quite a strong word.

what are your experiences with Raid and any good bad points you can think of? links etc?

Thanks Guys

Liam

im pc also and XP
1gb ram
p4 2.8
ati graphics card x700
Do you mean RAID 0? RAID 1 would increase your reliability, not lower it. RAID 0 is striping across multiple disks and RAID 1 is mirroring between two disks.

I run RAID 0 here at home. Two disks in RAID 0 for the system and two disks in RAID 0 for the data. So far so good, knock on wood.

RAID 0 increases your chances of failure. It's a gamble but you do get performance benefits and I back up anything important so a failure isn't the end of the world anyhow.
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #3
Trustee

Liam, look here:

http://www.acnc.com/04_00.html
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Charlie,

im not sure to be honest. what i intend to do is backup my work and by the looks of it and the way that i understand it Raid1 would be better.

so if i am running the 2 hdd and one fails to my knowledge i would still have the other one. is this correct?

also thanks for the link Harm. its given be a better understanding but im still confused.

Old April 11th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

been doing some more reading and what does this mean for Raid0

Quote:
Disadvantages

Not a "True" RAID because it is NOT fault-tolerant

The failure of just one drive will result in all data in an array being lost

Should never be used in mission critical environments
its the bottom one that i dont understand... im only in my bedroom

Old April 11th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

RAID:
Redundent
Array of
Independent (or Inexpensive)
Drives

Raid0 is not redundent, for example if I stored the sentance "This is a test of the emergency broadcast system." in a Raid0 it might look like this:

Code:
DRIVE1                   DRIVE2
--------                --------
This                          is
a                             test
of                             the
emergency              broadcast
system.
Now if drive 2 suddenly fails then the Raid becomes useless since all you have is "This a of emergency system."

Therefore in situations where loss of any data is unacceptable due to the lack of any way to backup or retrieve the data should it be lost...you would not use a Raid0. Things such as data servers at the bank would be a typical example of mission critical.

Keep in mind this is an overly simplified example. Hope this helps.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #7
Trustee

Liam,

Others may differ from my approach, but this is what I would do:

1. C drive, OS/programs: single drive, no Raid, just a slipstreamed DVD for backup/restore.
2. Media drive: Raid5 (4+ array) or in case of 8+ in Raid6.
3. Scratch/preview: 2 drives in Raid0
4. Page file/miscellaneous: single disk.
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Randall thats helped a lot and im beginning to undersatnd raid. it seems so simply and im just clicking onto it.

Thanks for that Harm. so how many more drives would i need to buy? 3? also what is a "slipstreamed DVD for backup" is this an actaul hdd or a DVD recorder, burner?

Thanks for your time guys :-)
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Carlin View Post
Thanks Randall thats helped a lot and im beginning to undersatnd raid. it seems so simply and im just clicking onto it.

Thanks for that Harm. so how many more drives would i need to buy? 3? also what is a "slipstreamed DVD for backup" is this an actaul hdd or a DVD recorder, burner?

Thanks for your time guys :-)
Well with Harm's setup you're looking at minimum of 7 disks. That's a nice setup but it sounds like more than you're working with.

Go with RAID 1(mirrored disks for redundancy) for the important data and RAID 0(striped disks for performance) for the scratch disks where the performance counts. Just make sure anything on the RAID 0 storage isn't an original just in case you have a failure.
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
3. Scratch/preview: 2 drives in Raid0
What size of HDD's do you recomend for a Scratch/preview?
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #11
Trustee

Kevin,

My earlier post was more of an ideal situation than a practical solution for Liam.
Let me rephrase my earlier answer to Liam:

1. C drive: WD Raptor 74 or 150 GB boot disk for OS/programs
2. D drive: media drive, start with a 300+ GB drive with the intention to grow to a Raid5 with at least 4 disks on a good raid controller (Areca).
3. E drive: scratch disk, start with a single disk and in time extend that to raid0 with 160+ GB capacity per disk. That will give you ample space.

However, if I were to build a system now, I would probably opt for 500 GB disks only. They are pretty cheap nowadays and give you the flexibility to configure your raid as you want without losing storage capacity. If you have good disks this does not make sense, since your existing disks can no longer be used effectively.

Hope this makes sense.
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Harm,

I was just asking because I am looking into upgrading my current setup of 4 250GB Drives in Raid 10.(last night I lost another drive, third one in 1 1/2 years)

I was thinking of upgrading to almost exactly what you described in you last post.

Thanks!
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks Guys. im still undecided in what i will do but thanks for the tips and help and now i just have make my decision.

Old April 12th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #14
Trustee

Kevin,

This failure rate seems rather high. Have you checked the temperature of your drives and the efficiency of your fans. Possibly exchanging your stock fans with SilenX fans with a large capacity could improve your temperature household.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC