Two or Four Gigs RAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 6th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #1
Trustee

Two or Four Gigs RAM

I'm using an old 3.0 P4 w/ 2 gigs of RAM. I've been holding out on geeting a new machine until 64 bit Widows and Vegas become available and are stable.

So I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading my dinosaur to 4 gigs of Ram? It will cost about $300 and I'm just not sure if the increase in performance warrants it.

BTW, I know that Windows XP does not acatually use all four gig for applications, but it will use about three gig apps and the rest for XP itself.

Anyone else make a similar upgrade? Like the results?

Thanks as always.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Save the coin toward a Core 2 Duo or Quad machine. You are not going to see significant enough of a performance jump to warrant the upgrade. $300 for 2Gb of RAM is way too much. You must be using RAMBUS or something which FURTHER is a reason not too upgrade.
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Major Player

I'd save the money and use it to get a lot of memory when you get your 64-bit machine.

2GB is really plenty on a 32-bit system.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
So I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading my dinosaur to 4 gigs of Ram?
No, as Jon and John :) allready stated you are better of just buying a new one. the two gigs extra might give you a longer ram preview if you are working with after effects or some programs might be a bit more responsive if you have, let's say, after effects, photoshop and premiere pro open at the same time but it's really not worth it.
Now if you would be a mac user that would be a different story since it will be 64bit all the way when the new o.s. comes out and that will utilize up to 16gb of memory, only you have to rob a bank if you want all memory slots filled. :)

By the way, your pc is not a dinosaur yet, I use a similar setup as well and run a business with it, the only difference with a new dual or quad core pc is that I get to drink some extra cups of coffee during the final rendering of a project and get a chance to talk to my family. ;)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #5

It depends on what kind of processing youdo. If you normally render a lot of stillimage files, like bitmaps, more memory will help, immensely. Otherwise, do as everyone has suggested and save for a multi-core rig.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
... $300 for 2Gb of RAM is way too much. You must be using RAMBUS or something which FURTHER is a reason not too upgrade.
Thanks for the advice ;). BTW, I presently have four 512 Mb sticks, so I have to buy four one Gig sticks to get to four Gig. That's why the price tag is so high.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well I have 4 gigs in my dual core rig...And helps out especially if you are using multiple operations at the same time. I use XP64 pro and Vegas 7.0E works fine. Then only problem I have found that after enabling my memory hole option in my bios, my m-audio 1010 soundcard doesn't work. I contacted them and they have a beta driver but have no intent to fix the problem since they are now focused on Vista. So I run 2gb when doing the sound but when I render my video project I switch to 4gb. But for your purposes the money would be better spent on getting a dual core or better setup since Vegas uses cpu power more than ram power to render.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC