Sony DRU500AX external? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 12:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony DRU500AX external?

I'm just wondering what are the benefits and disadvantages for an external dvd writing drive? Doesn't matter what brand, I just saw one the other day and the only thing that popped into my head was that my dad or brother could borrow it if needed. Help me decide.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:29 PM   #2
Major Player

I have this Sony drive, bought it to use with my laptop via firewire, but now that I'm building a dedicated NLE, I'm going to still use it. Now I don't know if there is any advantage or disadvantage, tech speaking (being connected by firewire vs IDE bus), going this route, but I like that it will use both DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW, and because is external on my new system it will only get turned on and used when I need to burn something (save on wear and tear).

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:41 PM   #3
Major Player

AFAIK, the only downside to an external firewire burner compared to an internal IDE is cost and the need for an extra power outlet.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC