Readymade Corporate PSAs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Readymade Corporate PSAs?

Anyone have any experience with "readymades" LOL

ie - corporate commercial spots premade with a joke/punchline to illustrate a concept, then just sell them to local businesses on a national level - idea I had , don't know if it's worth pursuing.

Obviously larger business won't go for that, but a small mom n' pop shop may very well want to air a low cost commercial or put on their website if it's at least exclusive for their town, only being used 2 hours away perhaps

For example:

1. Wife and Husband arguing - Honey you promised me you'd mow that lawn, No I didn't, Yes you did it was in our vows, Oh yeah you got that on tape -

TAG/LOGO AT END usefull for places such as- any
a. wedding video studio/org LOL
b. lawn contractor
c. vacation/club ie - "need a night out"

2. A ditzy blond singing horribly walking down the steet, comedic - usefull for
a. Singing lessons
b. Dating services - ie "tired of your girlfriend"
c. Selling instruments/music players etc.

Never heard of such a thing being done, but sounds like something that would have been - I know they do stuff like this for website templates etc.

You can also make variations as they're only 30 seconds to provide options/versions and have low prices based on communal purchases, or an exclusive price that would cover the production costs etc, with add ons charges to personalize it with their graphics or VO.

Thinking about making a few prototypes just for the hell of it - ideas could also be let them have embeddable code for viral marketting as that's a popular buzzword and also gives smaller / tight budget business an excuse to get a video

Point is to
1. Keep it low budget to cover poor startup sales - you'll be in control since it's readymade
2. Multiple purchases can allow a lower price and a lot of people are just fearful or have anxiety of what video entails, and a quick downloadable transaction over the internet may bring out the customer in some people
3. Customizable - make extra cash over re-edits or adding graphics/client supplied materials - just so long as you don't have to reshoot PERIOD.

Taken the viral angle, might also be more sticky perhaps, if you make a comedic character - kind of like a skit, that can still sell a product, and possibly become a net personality on it's own.

Thoughts or is this just a stupid idea and a waste of time.
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Trustee

see some of mine under guise of redneckery... click on my signature, lol
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Major Player

That is an awesome idea Gary! You should totally give that a shot. lol!

Now I don't know how that would work from a business prospective, but it sounds like fun to do anyways. I would be one of those people who would buy one if I ran a small business. Thats pretty funny..

You could do all sorts of fun stuff with that.

Wish you luck with it!
~Gabriel
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Trustee

Most small businesses that advertise and don't use an agency, generally get their production for free from the local TV station or cable company as part of the air buy. I can't see someone that gets their shoots and edits for free paying for cookie-cutter spots.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Major Player

It's been done, more or less: take a look at http://www.spotrunner.com
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wiley View Post
It's been done, more or less: take a look at http://www.spotrunner.com
Thanks - hard to google subjects like this since there's not a specific name for this type of thing yet LOL.

Nice site they have - though I'll be doing it differently a bit.

One thing I'd like to do is have the ads more comedic/anectdotal/dramatic - something memorable - there ads are well shot/put together but do seem a bit generic/factual based...I'll also be playing the viral/internet angle vs. Television - IMO - the internet, definitely in my case, has replaced Television and it's a matter of time before you'll have net-based TVs with a TiVO like device with iTunes like purchase center built in LOL.

Thanks! Only thing is doesn't say if their ads are exclusive or communal purchases available to other regions.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion