Which Computer will be better.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
PCs would be ok too, but everyone else who posted seems to be suggesting just settling for them because they're cheaper and convenient. Think twice, at least. Doesn't sound to me like anyone is saying they're "better". And you were asking about the best.
No, actually, us PC guys aren't saying they are better because we don't want to start a platform war, which is frowned upon here on DVinfo.

Both systems have their pros and cons.

For example:
PCs of an equivalent price are more stable, more powerful, and more flexible than Macs. Most PCs are a fraction of the price.
Macs however have a softer learning curve, run the very popular FCP, now have the options of running PC software, and are standard tools in the industry.

Both are good options, and you can't go wrong either way as long as you take time to actually learn the software you will be using.

Quote:
I'd recommend iMovie over Premiere Elements or Vegas. And you'd have to buy those separately.
Yes, some people only need crayons instead of paintbrushes.

Quote:
If you want a $500 computer, just go for the Mac Mini. It should run iMovie fine, if slowly, and you're done. But that isn't a great idea for obvious reasons (that also apply to any PC in that range).
I'm editing real time HDV in Vegas on my backup PC which cost about $450 6 months ago, so it doesn't actualy apply to PCs in that range. This is the price advantage of a PC, for the same dollar you get a much more powerful system than a Mac.
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #17
New Boot

Sorry that I didn't actually take the time to read through the whole thread before posting, so some one could have already put this. But basically, if you are planning to use some software that is windows compatible, then you are going to want to stick with a pc, although macs can now run virtual pc and run the same programs through this feature too. It really is preference. If you go with mac, you will have more compatibility issues with certain types of software, but you will have the peace of mind that the machine is going to be stable and dependable for years and years. With a PC, so long as you invest in enough ram, (I would suggest no less than 3 gbs) and enough space to hold your projects and raw files, ( I would suggest no less than 500 gbs) then you will be ready to start creating with the versatility that comes with windows on your pc. NOTE: DO NOT GET VISTA. This is a trap, there have been no essential updates yet, and its not worth it. XP is a great OS so stick with it.

Countysky
high speed satellite internet
Jerry Gree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #18
Inner Circle

My 2 Rupees worth...........

Bang for buck hardware (er, rupee)

1. PC
2. Wintel Laptop/ Notebook
3. Mac

Software

I'm not going to pre - suppose anything about your editing experience Ashok, so don't know where you're coming from. If you've already got some experience, you will probably have an idea which way you want to jump.

If you don't, well, it's worth having a play with stuff out there - relatively easy for PC as there are many free "trial" downloads available (and as you're not shooting any flavour of HD, most should actually work!).

Again, not knowing your experience level and what it is you wish to achieve as a final result/ product, almost impossible to recomend anything, it could be Ulead Video Studio 11 will do what you want (free trial available) or a step up to Adobe PE3 (FTA), after which the sky is the limit.

As for trying out a Mac solution - nope, don't even know what's available as freebie trials (somebody here must). Maybe the nearest Mac dealer does free "intro" sessions? It would give you a taste, if that takes your fancy.

Of course, if you wish to choose the software BEFORE the hardware, it might be worth actually putting the horse in front of this cart and enrolling in a "Video Editing" course somewhere, and actually have someone who knows what they're doing teach you how to do it and what to use in the process.

I've never been on a "proper" editing course and my editing definately suffers as a result, re - inventing the wheel just takes so long!

Hope this is some help.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks........

Even my friends here too suggest to go for PC, as they are affordable. Any system will become outdated after 3 years( technology advancing at fast pace), so it will be easy to switch to next gen computers. These systems doesn't have resale value & cann't last long as the cam.
So I'll post shortly after finalising the options.

Ashok
Ashok Mansur is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion