B n C and SVideo cables - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 4th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #16
Trustee

Your camera has one RCA video out and one SVideo out. Your monitor has S Video and BNC in.

You have choices and looking at the prices the methods aren't much different in cost.

You either buy an S Video cable

an male RCA to BNC

a male RCA to male RCA with a BNC adapter

All will be within $10 of each other for a 50 ft cable. The difference between 50 and 25 ft wasn't that much either.

The RCA or BNC will give you less rez but does that really matter in the field ?
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #17
Wrangler

I think it matters, for checking focus and for ensuring that important small details are resolvable.

And, it's not just resolution that's lost; chrominance bandwidth is cut as well.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #18
Slash Rules!

This local place tried to sell me 50 ft of Svideo cable for 89 dollars, and 100ft for 150 or something. It was thick round cable, and they said they didn't have any lesser grade. Guess it's off to B&H. How'm I supposed to give local merchants my business when they won't accomodate my needs?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 05:42 PM   #19
Trustee

Texas dealers for Hosatech

http://www.hosatech.com/dealers/hosa_dealers_texas.html

I already gave you the links for the cable.
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:39 PM   #20
Regular Crew

BNC Cables

The cables that I described earlier are true 75 ohm broadcast quality and maintain a clean signal through 200 ft runs whether it's composite (RCA) or Y/C Component (S-Video). There are pictures of the reels and cables at the links below.

http://community.webtv.net/JEFProduc...PRODUCTIONUNIT

community.webtv.net/JEFCom/AVSNAKEREELFANTAIL
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 08:23 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Monitoring

Is the difference in signal (s-video vs. composite) really important in the kind of work are you are doing. I'm of the opinion that the difference in signal is so small that it doesn't really matter, as long as the recorded signal is maximized. In my organization, we've used compoSITE signal to monitor the compoNENT signal coming from a Beta-SP cam, and I can't say that the couple of extra grains of noise or whatever bothered us.

The BNC-standard (Robert: I've heard that it's short for bayonet-Neill/Concelman, the guys that invented it) does the job every time, and especially in the field, or when doing live mixing. The danger of broken connections and worn plugs should be avoided, and the S-video DIN-standard is physically too weak. It's not so much the quality of picture, but the reliability of the connector that's important. How ever, in postproduction you could use whatever standard you like I guess, although I can't see that most of us would need to have any better than composite to monitor our video.

Eivind
Eivind Vaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 11:30 PM   #22
Trustee

Everyones right, hows that?

"Bayonet Neil-Concelman" or "Bayonet Navy Connector" or "Baby Neil Connector"

from

http://www.wa1mba.org/rfconn.htm

Josh, just use what make you happy, you're the one that counts. Let me know if you were able to source those locally.
Old June 8th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #23
Slash Rules!

I want whatever gives me the objectively highest quality signal. I went with B&H.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Interesting (BNC)

How on earth can a sipmle three letter acronym stand for all this? What does the plug in question have to do with babies, nipples, nuts and the british navy?

Bayonet Neill Concelman connector
Bayonet Nipple Connector
Bayonet Nut Coupling
Baby N Connector
British Naval Connector

The BNC connector is also known as RG58

However, I just found this piece of text on the net explaining the origin of the BNC, and I calmed down:

http://www.qsl.net/zl2aa/other.html

(Scroll down to the headline "Other Useless (But Interesting) Information")

Vaa
Eivind Vaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 12:09 PM   #25
Trustee

It's a secure connection, does the name really matter. My point was , it's no big deal what the letters stand for.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion