Promoting you work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Promoting you work

I just finished some commercial spec clips and some supershorts. I'm going to make list of commercial production houses and agents etc. and contact them very thouroghly

But want to ask, the clips themselves, should I promote them on my own on you tube/contests and other places or is that a waste of time?

If not, I need to help/resources on this. thanks!
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What is your goal? Who are you trying to reach and why? Let this determine how and where you market your work.

If you want to deal with professionals and be taken seriously, I'd bypass youtube. Get your own professional-looking website and host the clips there.
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks, I've got great site, design, cards, letterhead etc, and am marketing direct to production companies and managers.

Just wondering if I'm dropping the ball by not putting the clips out there more on various site or contests. thanks.
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #4
New Boot

Kevin, here's a link http://www.viddler.com/ but I'm not too sure about them. Because it's free there must be a catch. I'm looking for the same thing to host some realty videos...need full screen. I use SmugMug to host my still images from still camera, but their video hosting only offers a very small screen image. If you find something, would appreciate a tip...same here. tks..bob
Bob Hollifield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #5
New Boot

Promoting

Remember that you are not just selling your work, you are selling yourself also.
We own a small prod company in E. Texas, we hire shooters occasionally. We want to know two things -- a) can this person perform, and b) WILL this person perform....
The answer to the second question comes from knowing things about the shooter. Somehow, you need to develop some kind of relationship with the people you are selling to, & that will probably take some time. Without being arrogant or pushy, you need to fill then in on the fact that you are a good, reliable, guy who can take direction and be worth working with.

Good luck -- S

www.n-ventivetv.com
Stephen Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Major Player

thanks Bob/Stephen:
I have a great website, don't need hoster....
and I'm promoting this well to productions houses.

Curious about promotion through Contests and putting clips on other areas of the web, if that is good idea
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion