New dv on the way? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 8th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #1
Major Player

New dv on the way?

Im just curious if anyone knows about new dv camcorders on the way that would rival the GL2 for example. Ive heard to stay away from the first generation of HD camcorders like the new one out now(one chipper), as it would be improved in the course of time. Any inside info is appreciated.

John DeLuca
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #2
Major Player

How long would the pros here wait for a mature/trustworthy HD offering? I wonder how the 1 chip HD's fair against the 3chip DV. I've never seen a comparison.
Old June 8th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

There's only one 1-CCD Mini-HD camcorder and it only now started shipping. I have never advocated waiting for new technology. If you have something to shoot, then now is always the best time to buy. Save the packing material, keep it clean and take care of it, then sell it when the time comes to get the next best thing. This is the smartest way to go. If you're just waiting, then you're not producing, and that's no good.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #4
Major Player

True...but only up to a point. The question comes to future-proofing, for whatever that's worth.

While some are happy to buy whatever works for now and then sell if for the next bif=g thing. others want a piece of kit that they can use and get used to over an extended period, but which will have suffiecient room to grow.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #5
Wrangler

Then you always, almost always have to stay well back from the leading edge products, Nigel (I know you know this). Which is another way to say, if you cannot make money or reach your immediate objectives, don't buy. Truth is, that should apply to any gear purchased at anytime in the life-cycle of a technology.

Fortunately for me, HD isn't here yet in sufficient numbers to make it a consumer demand for my business cause there certainly aren't any affordable HD camcorder or editing systems out there yet.

OK, Chris, is that a clumsy paraphrase or what?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion