Camera operation practise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera operation practise

Hi I am trying to find the best way to improve my skills with a HD100.
I recently completed a job and realized that I am in need of a dopting a daily practise regime. My shooting was awful!

Can anyone give me guidance as to the best way to acheive this. I.E. excercises that I can practise daily to improve my dexterity. Are there any good manuals or videos? Industry standard practise techniques etc.?

Much appreciated.

Martin ODonnell
Martin ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Doesn't seem too complex to me.

There are 3 elements to filming:

1. Muscular strength, including isometrics.
Doing pushups, lifting weights, etc., could help here, as well as isometric images, if you aren't capable of holding the camera as long as you must. Isometrics are exercises based on resistance rather than movement, as you'll find yourself doing when you are shooting-- you must remain steady and stationary to keep the shot.

2. Patience...
well, can't help you there. hope you shoot something interesting to watch ;)

3. Practice and skill--
This is pretty simple. Just practice shooting. Go to a park, and walk around, shooting, then review the footage.
There are some training DVDs out there to show proper technique, but I think it's common sense... point, shoot, and be steady while you do. Try whatever grips work best for you.
Just shoot stuff and you'll be bound to figure out sooner or later what works and what doesn't.

So, basically, just practice. Build up muscles, if you must, and find a way to not be bored.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Major Player

... and never lose your sense for self-criticism. As soon as you think "now I'm perfect" it's over. Always keep in mind that you still could have done better - that will keep you working on it.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion