1/2" vs 1/3" DOF difference at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 7th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #1
Major Player

1/2" vs 1/3" DOF difference

Not sure if this is a good fit here but I am curious with the new sony coming what is the visible difference between 1/3 and1/2" chips? I know about depth of field in general, what I am curious about is what type of gain do you get from this change, how does it compare to 35mm? is it a big noticeable jump or barely going from 1/3 to 1/2?

Thanks
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Stephen, I have a 35mm adapter and a camera that has a 1/3" sensor. While I notice a large difference between my stock 1/3" shots and the shots I did with the 35mm adapter, I find it hard to tell the difference between 1/2" shots and 35mm when I watch shows on TV. Mind you, I'm watching SD TV, but still, I think a 1/2" chip would offer a great DOF advantage over a 1/3" sensor area.

I look forward to more companies moving their prosumer from 1/3" to 1/2". I'd take a single 1/2" CMOS sensor over three 1/3" sensors anyday.

Also, with the industry also making moves to combat CA (chromatic aberration) inside the camera, I think that larger single sensor cameras aren't hobbled as they have one appeared to be. The RED camera and Canon HV20 are good examples of single-chip cameras holding their own.

EDIT: I'd love to see side-by-side examples of DOF from 1/3" and 1/2" cameras at comparable focal-lengths to display the difference! If anyone can share, please do!
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Major Player

as a follow up to that question, does anyone know if there is an advantage, or disadvantage, to using a converter in front of a lens such as a 1.6 or 2.0 teleconverter on a smaller chip which (assuming there is enough room to use it) would double or multiply the zoom without an increase in aperture, would that create a shallower depth of field since the f-stop has not changed yet the focal length has doubled or been increased? or would the depth not be altered by such a device?

If this worked out and you had to room to use a teleconverter what type (amount) of DOF change (reduction I assume, or would you get a greater DOF at a longer zoom) would be noticed?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion